Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new year day

new year day

this is were I should have post this . On new year day morning walk out set up and take the new years and decade image and post it here . Just thought it would be cool to see .

Re: new year day

Quote Originally Posted by madmax12 View Post
    this is were I should have post this . On new year day morning walk out set up and take the new years and decade image and post it here . Just thought it would be cool to see .
    It's a year too early for the decade image. 2010 is the last year of the first decade.

But it would be cool anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    It's a year too early for the decade image. 2010 is the last year of the first decade.

But it would be cool anyway.
    On that basis then everyone got it wrong when the millenium changed as the year 2000 began. I guess that means you've got some catching up to do.

Quote Originally Posted by percepts View Post
    On that basis then everyone got it wrong when the millenium changed as the year 2000 began. I guess that means you've got some catching up to do.
    So you are saying, in effect, "The Fifties", et al were 1950-59, "The Sixties" were 1960-69, etc? Not 1951-1960, or 1961-70, as so many seem to think? Someone 20 years old cannot be described as a teenager? The Earth is not square? Amazing how many are confused about this

Not everyone got it wrong, only those who thought that the millennium started with the year 2000.

Which is the first year of the decade? Of the millennium?

First year A.D.? Year 0 or year 1?

Quote Originally Posted by SW Rick View Post
    So you are saying, in effect, "The Fifties", et al were 1950-59, "The Sixties" were 1960-69, etc? Not 1951-1960, or 1961-70, as so many seem to think? Someone 20 years old cannot be described as a teenager? The Earth is not square? Amazing how many are confused about this
    Seems pretty obvious. Some people just think numbers start at one and not zero.
    I guess they learnt to count from one and didn't realise one meant a whole one and not a part of one.
    When you are ten you are 10 complete years and in your eleventh year and not in your tenth year.
    I know decimal is complex (for some) but not that complex. i.e. 0 to 9 and not 1 to 10.

Seems pretty obvious. Some people just think numbers start at one and not zero.
    I guess they learnt to count from one and didn't realise one meant a whole one and not a part of one.
    When you are ten you are 10 complete years and in your eleventh year and not in your tenth year.
    I know decimal is complex (for some) but not that complex. i.e. 0 to 9 and not 1 to 10.
    When you are born, you begin year 1 of your life. When you complete that year, you turn 1. We are about a year away from beginning the year 2011.

Decimal is indeed not all that complex, all it takes is a little logic. And you can always use your fingers when the going gets tough...

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I know how many fingers to hold up to get "1" through "10", but how many fingers do I hold up to get "zero"? That has always confused me when I'm told that numbers go from 0 - 9 not 1 - 10.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

p.s. I'm easily confused. It all started after I held my thumb straight up one day in Germany to order "ein bier bitte"; the waiter slugged me. Only after that I realized that I was being impolite and should have held up just half of my thumb. But I wanted a full pint, not a half-pint. As I said... I'm easily confused.

All depends how one wants to look at it, I suppose. Logic seems to lead me to the decade starting at 2010, not 2011. Someone born on 1-1-2000 would have lived a decade plus a year by 1-1-2011. So the first decade (or ten years) of his/her life ends at the end of the day on 12-31-2009, with 1-1-2010 marking the start of his/her second decade.

But what the hell -- why is January 1 the start of a "new" year? Why not on a soltise (sp?) or an equinox?

But I hope to take a photo of my boys in the Redwoods on 1-1-2010 with the 8x10, weather permitting. And if it does not permit (heavy rain, for example), we'll just hike through the redwoods anyway, enjoy the light and sounds, and check out the salmon and steelhead running up Prairie Creek.

Vaughn