Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about my Kodak 9A Studio Camera

Questions about my Kodak 9A Studio Camera

I just purchased a Kodak Century Studio Camera from an antique shop for $300 and was wondering what the real worth is?

The camera is a 9A and has the number 62 stamped on the inside the bellows frame (serial #?)
    The bellows is in good shape, doesn't seem to have any light leeks. The Lens doesn't focus, someone crimped the edges on the inside and it wont turn. I'm guessing the camera is from 1907-28?

The center wood piece that joins both billows is screwed down. I tried removing the 3 screws but it still seems anchored tight and I didn't want to force anything. How to I get it to stretch out full? And what are the two hook for in the front?

Is there a PDF manual for this bad boy?
    Any information would be much appreciated.

Re: Questions about my Kodak 9A Studio Camera

I don't think 62 is the serial number. Look around for a six digit number. Looks like a beauty. Any markings on the lens?

Where would the serial number be located? I looked for one when I was cleaning it. Here's a shot of the back of the lens, you can see where someone crimped it. I don't think it was the original lens as the wood is a few shades off the rest of the body.

Sorry, no PDF (or other) manual, but these are simple cameras. If you loosen the knob(s) on the bottom bed, you should be able to slide the inner rail backwards and extend the front bellows. The two knobs at the base of the rear standard move the camera back forward or back (compressing or extending the rear bellows). The center knob sticking up locks this movement. The upper knob on the right with the worm screw swings the back, and the middle upper knob tilts the back.

The number 62 was used for matching parts at the factory. The serial number should be stamped into the rear of the base rail somewhere--maybe the top of the rear cross piece. I'm not sure about the hooks at the front. They could be for mounting a lens shade or maybe a place to route rubber tubing for a pneumatic shutter. The lens doesn't focus by rotating in a helical--the focusing is done with the bellows. For a 9A Studio camera in good shape with good bellows and a lens--$300 is a very reasonable price. That plaque alone must be worth $200.

The camera set-up has been changed form the original BIG format to a much smaller format (probably less bellows extension) with a reducing back and from the classic huge fast lens to a smaller Goerz Celor ( and a bit slower) which was too small for the original lens board! The Celor, unlike the Dagor, was sold for portrait use.

This series 1b Celor from Goerz has an impossibly early serial number. This, and the english text/US patent, suggests it was early product from the American daughter company at Inwood, Long Island.

Awesome! I thought the two bottom knobs were for sliding into the camera stand, I didn't realize they were for the inner rails. I'm loving this camera, I really want to use it. I'm spoiled on digital.

Now you have to find a matching stand! If you thought the camera was heavy you are in for a big surprise.

The antique store had a studio camera stand, however it was $700 and had all cleaned up gears which I didn't want because it wouldn't match. The stand had a weight system on pulleys. Do stands typically cost more the the camera?

What is really weird is that the lens seems to have been mounted backwards. Those inscriptions are always on the front of the lens where you can read them. I don't know that particular lens, it may be symmetrical and this may not matter optically, but it does look like you are going to have trouble changing the aperture. You should be able to unscrew the whole lens from the flange (the black ring on the front of the lensboard) and then bring it round to the front and screw it back in the opposite way.