Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Death Valley

Death Valley

I Will have ten days beginning Feb 2 to take my second trip through the valley & surroundings. This forum was very helpful last trip-two or three years ago- and I solicit your help again. I enjoyed photographing Darwin CA, Keeler, Goldfields, Rhyolite, Randsburg, and the Owens River Valley, in addition to the places within the park such as Badwater, Zabriskie, Artists Palette, etc. Unfortunately I will again be w/o 4 wheel drive, so I assume Yosemite and Bristlecone are not open to me. My question is what else I should visit, given my penchant for photographing ghost towns and natural scenery. Is there a large format film vendor in Vegas?

I fly into Las Vegas. Last time I went the "clockwise route", and wonder if it makes sense to go the opposite way this time? Is it too much to include Tonopah, if I also want to return to the Mohave? Are other ghost towns open to non 4 wheel drive cars? Panamint City, Ballarat?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Drew Wiley

Re: Death Valley

That time of year I'd stay off unpaved roads unless they're well maintained. Snow can hit the desert, so always carry extra food, water, and a warm sleeping bag, no matter where you are headed. Don't forget the opposite side of Death Valley,
    which you approach from a Road branching off near Stovepipe Wells, which heads up
    toward the Charcoal kilns and Telegraph Peak. I think the overlook from that direction is just as impressive as Zabriskie, and there are some old mines and
    paraphenalia. Road is dirt but suitable for passagener cars, though snow might make
    it impossible to get all the wall uphill to the kilns.

Check out the Eureka Dunes in the northern part of the park. Huge sand dune!
    Sid

Eric Woodbury

You don't need 4 wheel drive. It only gets you stuck further from the road. I've been to DV and the area every year since 1977 and never had a 4-wheel. I just do the same places and a few new places every year. You get to see it in different weather, different light, or with a new vision. You have a lot of good places on your list. If you'd like to visit the Twilight Zone, try Trona and the Trona Pinnacles. And south of Beatty on the east of the highway are an old concrete factory and a marble mine, Carrera. At Eureka dunes, go to the far west end. You may have to walk if the road is slick.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Terry,
    It should be a good time. You will be arriving during the "rainy season" If you are lucky you will catch small "lakes" in the valley that provide good reflection photos. Besides Bad Water there is a pan just north of Furnace Creek on the West side that will hold water for a couple of days after a rain.
    If you head south to Trona and Ridgecrest you will find that Trona is almost a ghost town with the mining being cut way back. It does provide interesting photo ops. Be careful if you take the Wild Rose road just west of Stove Pipe Wells. The south end of this road is VERY rough. It can be driven with a regular car but take it very slow and pick your way. There is no problem with most of the main dirt roads. If you decide to drop down into Eureka Dunes from the north the road turns to dirt at the beginning of the valley. Be careful of wash outs as you cross the valley. Also if you decide to continue south after visiting Eureka Dunes the road has many washouts before getting to Ubehebe Crater.
    The only shop in Las Vegas with 4x5 film is Casey's Camera on Tropicana. Small supply. Call them before you go to check to see what is in stock. They had Fuji Quickloads when I was in at the beginning of December. Sahara Camera has moved to a smaller location on the west side of the strip and no longer has large format film. They have downsized and focus on digital. They do have 120 film and machine process 120 but won't/can't do 220.
    Ric

I wanted to mention one thing about the North Road leading to Eureka Dunes. Watch out for sand. A friend's car got stuck on the North Road last fall and it took him several hours to dig it out. Last time I checked, Miller's Towing in Lone Pine charges an arm and a leg to pull cars out of the backcountry, and insurance companies don't always cover remote area tows.
    Laura

I spent last weekend in Death Valley with my 4x5. The Mesquite dunes are great at sunrise. Give yourself plenty of time to hike out and set up for a shot. The best colors at sunrise against the dunes lasted only about a minute, so you need to be ready. I also took a few good shots just before sunrise.
    Here's where I ended up setting up: N36 37.137 W117 05.506.

Zabriskie Point photographed from a steep and somewhat difficult trail (especially in low light situations, such as before sunrise), which puts you in a higher position and you can get Telescope Peak in the image as well. N36 25.411 W116 48.829.

I briefly explored Mosaic Canyon, but I didn’t take the 4x5 because I was there in the early afternoon and I didn’t think the light was that good. Although it could be somewhat difficult, getting there before sunrise or staying for sunset might be pretty cool. Here’s the trailhead and parking area: N36 34.310 W117 08.655.

-Daniel

Drew Wiley

Mosaic Canyon is popular, so with 8x10 I went in fairly early AM, ahead of crowds.
    Once you get back a ways, the canyon widens and people thin out. Death Valley has
    some incredible back country spots, but I wouldn't advise anyone heading into such
    places unless they are skilled in desert travel and have informed others of their plans. For the typical photographer, there are plenty of opportunities closer to the
    road which involve less risk. This is a good time of year, because the wind and dust
    aren't very active yet.

Thanks for all the help. A couple of other questions. Is 395 usually open to Lee Vining and Bodie from the south? Route 6 between Bishop and Tonopah usually open? At the other end of my trip is Needles worth a visit? Essex, Cadiz? I like to shoot natural and commercial landscapes. ¡Feliz año nuevo para todos!

Unless they get a really bad snow storm which closes the highway, 395 will be open to Lee Vining. 6, from Bishop to Tonopah is paved and used by locals and is not usually closed for winter. The turnoff to Bodie south of Bridgeport, to the best of my knowledge, is usually inaccessible in winter, except to snow mobile or snowcat. There's a ranger at Bodie year round. I would recommend calling out there to see how much snow they have. If it's inaccessible and you still want to visit, another option would be to visit the Bodie forum and find out if anyone in that area could take you out there via snow mobile or snowcat. Or maybe you could rent a snow mobile. Bodie really is worth a visit and I'm sure it's quite beautiful in snow. Hope this helps!