Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: An article with the ring of truth: Simplicity by Ken Rockwell

Re: An article with the ring of truth: Simplicity by Ken Rockwell

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Barendt View Post
    Forgive me, you didn't define "which two approaches" so I made an assumption and went back to the original post and the article that rang true for Jay.
    Didn't I refer to The Hunter and The Cook clearly enough in the previous post? If that is not clear enough for you, I really don't know how to make it clearer and still keep it at the educated adults level...

When I'm the photographer I find that having "the end" defined is the best way to keep my kit-of the-day, my thoughts, and my shooting, simple.

One of the things I'm looking for in most of my shots is a normal to slightly wide perspective for the viewer of the print, I'm looking to get both my subject and it's context in most shots. The 90mm lens on my RB fit's this role nicely. My Holga fits this role too. A 35mm or 50mm on my Nikons. A 150 on my 4x5.

What I find is that when I pick up my Nikon bag with everything from macro to 200 in it, I lose sight of "the end". I can slide that zoom and switch lenses with the best-of-em but that rarely produces a better "end".
    Yeah, you seem to have quite a collection there... But what I am saying is that if you pick any one camera and any one lens and try to make the best out of it in a given situation, you might come out with quite surprising pictures. That would be the exact opposite way of thinking and it obviously works for the people I mentioned and for many others.

Same problem when I take 3 different kits. I went to a large format workshop back in November, one of my mistakes was taking along my Nikons and Holga during the day. Sure I got some fun shots but I should not have given myself that option. I would have taken similar shots with the 4x5, learned more, and had more fun without the option of a small camera.
    Just the example of what I mentioned above.

I'm a bit confused, you just said this;

[...]

Then here you leap into a diatribe, with a wink, beating up on Ken and Leicas.
    Yeah, there is the bit of confusion...

Leicas? Where did I trash Leicas? I said they were the simplest yet the more expensive and at the same time allegedly the most sophisticated cameras around. How is this trashing, pray tell??

A wink is a wink - a sign that one may not be quite serious. There is the thing called humor, and there is the sarcasm. That particular wink denotes a bit of both, you know.

Are we here to discuss various approaches to photography or talk trash?
    I don't know, you tell me. You started with the politics and spin thing and you keep being snarky beyond sarcastic. If you really want to discuss various approaches to photography, you are welcome to begin. If not, it might really not be worth all the bother.

I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    If you really want to discuss various approaches to photography, you are welcome to begin. If not, it might really not be worth all the bother.
    I'm done.
    No surprises there...