Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Chamonix User

New Chamonix User

Hi guys,

My new Chamonix 045n-1 is here. Yupee!!!
    I must say I'm impressed. It's a real beauty, and I can't believe how lightweight it is. By Jove, it's even lighter than my 35mm EOS!

On the minus side, I find the two rings that lock the lensboard in place too small and stiff. Given that the camera cannot fold with a mounted lens, and so I'll have to use those tabs each and every time I fold and unfold it, this might become a slight annoyance. But we'll see; maybe I'll get used to it.
    Also, it would be nice if the front tilt and front rise could be locked and unlocked independently of each other.
    Another minor annoyance is that when the camera is folded the screw that attaches the front standard to the baseboard is loose and rattles. But I can live with that.
    Otherwise, everything seems just perfect to me.

I removed the Fresnel lens. Focusing problems aside, I never liked Fresnels. I don't like how they make the image dimmer when you look at it sideways, and I also hate those concentric rings. Anyway, I'm used to the dim ground glass of my Calumet CC-400, compared to which Chamonix's seems to be a great leap forward even without the Fresnel lens.

I managed to figure out most features, but I still have a couple of questions.

Firstly, can the bellows be easily replaced? I ordered the standard version because it was cheaper, and I could barely afford the camera as it was, but if I buy a universal or bag bellows later on, will I be able to replace it myself?
    Secondly, on the back there are four locking rings similar to those used for the lensboard, only bigger. Two up and two down. What are these for?

Thanks.

Re: New Chamonix User

Cool, congratulations. BTW, the front tilt and rise are delinked so you can lock the rise and still tilt. The bellows is easily removed and replaced in seconds--very simple and the camera was designed for it. The retaining clips on the back are for graflok compatible backs. Have fun.

When I got mine I had a lot of questions, all of which were answered here. If you search on "Chamonix" you'll find them all. If they were compiled into a single document with some editing they'd make a nice owner's manual.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

OK, I took a closer look and figured out how to remove the bellows.
    I want to use a 90mm lens on a flat lensboard, so I'll probably need universal bellows in order to have decent movements. But we'll see about that when I get the lens.
    Thanks.

BTW, the front tilt and rise are delinked so you can lock the rise and still tilt.
    Well, it seems to me that the two big knobs on either side of the front standard, shown in the attached picture, lock both front tilt and front rise. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Soare View Post
    Well, it seems to me that the two big knobs on either side of the front standard, shown in the attached picture, lock both front tilt and front rise. Am I missing something?
    If you're going to use both front rise/fall and front tilt, push the tilt lock levers in toward the center of the front frame. Loosen the knobs and set your rise or fall. Tighten the knobs to lock the rise or fall. Now you can tilt the front standard and the rise or fall will remain locked in place. There's only a single control, but the front standard design, tilt locks, and washer system allows the tilt after the rise or fall is locked in place.

Uh, no user manual accompanies the Chamonix? Bummer.

Nope. No manual, unfortunately. But with a forum like this, who needs manuals anyway?
    Thanks Barry, I see what you mean. I tried it and it seems to work fine.
    Have I mentioned I love this camera?

90mm isn't much of a problem for movements with the standard bellows. 75mm is. Your issue with the lens board locking tabs is not uncommon. Lens boards, though 'standardized', seem to come in varying thicknesses. Some are easy, some are hard. I've been quite surprised buying them from different sources as to the different thicknesses. You can always file...I have a few.
    Congrats. It's not a perfect system, but it's quite capable for the price.

Those tabs are stiff even with no lensboard on. They take too much effort to move, and being so small they require me to use my fingernails instead of the fingertips, which I find slightly annoying.
    But I think I can live with that.
    Indeed, it's not perfect, but it's close enough for me.

Later edit: on the back side of the baseboard there's a number: 0908. Is this the manufacturing month? Does this mean August 2009, or September 2008? Or maybe it's a serial number, meaning the 908th camera produced?

Hey Vlad - congrats with your new cam!
    ... dunno about the baseboard numbers, but - like you - I'm very curious about the locking switches on the back. When turned, they seem to limit the spring on the back, so that you cannot get a holder inside. Does anyone know, what these are actually designed for???

@ BarryS: Yep, it does work to a certain extent, but I don't find the 'individual' control that fantastic. In other words, I find the tilt very difficult to control accurately... but then again, it might be a general view camera issue? I'm still very inexperienced and just scanned ten trannies from morocco - all more or less unsharp (will post soon in different thread btw)

looks nice with the all black design - didn't know that was an option.