Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best tool for image file management

Lachlan 717

Best tool for image file management

I currently use PS CS3 and really need a tool/programme/plug-in that will allow me to manage the saved files. Currently, they are all over the place with no real method in the madness. Saving with simple file name tags isn't cutting it...

This needs to include files dumped from digital, not just scanned images.

Can anyone suggest good products to do this? I'm guessing Adobe Lightroom might be an option.

Thanks in advance,
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Re: Best tool for image file management

I use Lightroom to manage my images. It's not perfect by any means, but it's the best tool I've found to deal with both digitally originated images and film scans. It's mostly intuitive and Adobe has been responding to user requests for improvements with each version.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
    I use Lightroom to manage my images. It's not perfect by any means, but it's the best tool I've found to deal with both digitally originated images and film scans. It's mostly intuitive and Adobe has been responding to user requests for improvements with each version.
    Thanks, Barry.

How does it integrate with PS?
    Lachlan.

I use Picasa. It's fast, runs on Windows and Intel-based Macs. It's much faster than CS3/Bridge.

And it's free. Did I mention the price ?

It doesn't install a database engine. It can run in background and update itself all the time if you like, or whenever you start it up, or plug in a drive that you have instructed it to track.

Lightroom and Aperture are targeted at Digital pros with lots of small files (small by Large Format standards anyhow). In my experience, they don't do well with large files. Instead, they let you perform bulk operations, like color-correcting an entire wedding or shoot at once. I'm sure that from that perspective, they pay for themselves the first time you use them - but our situation is inverse: a comparatively small number of huge files. Oops !

Of course, if something better has come along, please let us know.

CS4/Bridge
    Photo Mechanic
    Lightroom 2
    Fotostation

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    Thanks, Barry.

How does it integrate with PS?
    The integration with Photoshop is ok--not great. I expected the two Adobe products would integrate more seamlessly, but they're two very different products. Adobe has a long way to go in this department, so I wouldn't count it as a strong point of buying another Adobe product.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    I use Picasa. It's fast, runs on Windows and Intel-based Macs. It's much faster than CS3/Bridge.

And it's free. Did I mention the price ?

It doesn't install a database engine. It can run in background and update itself all the time if you like, or whenever you start it up, or plug in a drive that you have instructed it to track.

Lightroom and Aperture are targeted at Digital pros with lots of small files (small by Large Format standards anyhow). In my experience, they don't do well with large files. Instead, they let you perform bulk operations, like color-correcting an entire wedding or shoot at once. I'm sure that from that perspective, they pay for themselves the first time you use them - but our situation is inverse: a comparatively small number of huge files. Oops !

Of course, if something better has come along, please let us know.
    Thanks, Ken.

The audacity of them not focusing on LF users...
    Lachlan.

I am currently using Faststone Image Viewer... free download. Not integrated, but operates as a shell of the Windows Explorer format. So, you see your image folders just as you would in Windows Explorer. File and folder management is easy. There are some interesting editing tools. There is a downloadable PDF documentation file with an 80+ page manual. There is a training video clip and there is a YouTube video on features and use.

Just search Faststone (that's fast stone) Image Viewer. It's very fast in operation. I've been surprised and pleased with how it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    I am currently using Faststone Image Viewer... free download. Not integrated, but operates as a shell of the Windows Explorer format. So, you see your image folders just as you would in Windows Explorer.
    Windows' handling of large or many files isn't fast or efficient.

I have Nikon View and Light Room 2. While NV is made for Nikon digital images, it is pretty good at handling a folder full of large scans too. Great for previewing, organizing, etc...

I have a mix of digital images and B&W scans. Picassa could work, but I'm not sure how it handles NEFs.

I put images into folders named for the date. I also write the folder name on the Printfile negative page's top margin/label area when I scan in negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzano View Post
    I am currently using Faststone Image Viewer... free download. Not integrated, but operates as a shell of the Windows Explorer format. So, you see your image folders just as you would in Windows Explorer. File and folder management is easy. There are some interesting editing tools. There is a downloadable PDF documentation file with an 80+ page manual. There is a training video clip and there is a YouTube video on features and use.

Just search Faststone (that's fast stone) Image Viewer. It's very fast in operation. I've been surprised and pleased with how it works for me.

I find faststone a very good product, especially given its free! The only annoyance is it doesn't read in the tags and keywords I've added via Bridge. For previewing images fullscreen its a lot faster than Bridge, and give you a sharper/less-jpeggy preview too.