Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Photo a Day Challenge

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

The Photo a Day Challenge

Could you take a photo every day next year?

I think it would be a worthwhile challenge.

365 photos in one year. You can take more than one photo on any given day, but only one counts in the challenge.

It would be tough but I think I could do it.

So I challenge you. Can you take a photo a day in 2010.

The challenge is to take the photo. If you can't get it posted on the same day, or you have to wait a few days to get it printed that's fine. You can always post them a few days late.

And they have to be real photos... not snaps of your cat sleeping on the chair.

Some people might think they have to all shot with one camera or with one lenses... similar to the Leica challenge a few years back, but that doesn't matter here.

Just take one photo a day and try and post it.

I'm going to post this on a couple other forums as well and blog on it at www.thepicturedesk.blogspot.com.

Let me know if you're in.

Rob Skeoch
    www.thepicturedesk.ca

Re: The Photo a Day Challenge

The best exercise we teach is the "One-a-Day" exercise:

Make one, and only one, picture a day as a discrete exercise, separate from any other photography you do. Take your time, and do the best that you can do with each one.

Richard Ritter did this for a year, and hung a killer show of the best ones.

It's tough to stick with, but your photography will improve dramatically, no matter how good you are right now.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

multiplex

great idea rob!

do cameraless images count ... or does it have to be made using a camera ( make a photo instead of take one ) ?

- john

Maybe when I retire and the kids have moved out
    I'm in my darkroom almost everyday making prints from negatives that have never seen the light of an enlarger...and carbon printing has been a fun learning curve.
    If I'm not out with the camera, I take photos with my mind. Great exercise.

This must be a common theme running through the art community, never the less interesting. I spoke with the exhibition curator at my local arts council in Nov regarding an invitational exhibit I am participating next Sept and expressed my thoughts about doing such a personal project of one 4x5 shot per day for a year. Really challenging imagery versus the common place. I derived the idea because I have a huge stash of slightly dated 4x5 B&W film and I am not shooting 4x5 BW film for much of my scenic work.

I would never show ongoing good stuff or crap though in a public forum. Too many hobbiests, so unique stuff I kind of want to reserve for making me a name Any way its an interesting idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Skeoch View Post
    Could you take a photo every day next year?

I think it would be a worthwhile challenge.

365 photos in one year. You can take more than one photo on any given day, but only one counts in the challenge.

It would be tough but I think I could do it.

So I challenge you. Can you take a photo a day in 2010.

The challenge is to take the photo. If you can't get it posted on the same day, or you have to wait a few days to get it printed that's fine. You can always post them a few days late.

And they have to be real photos... not snaps of your cat sleeping on the chair.

Some people might think they have to all shot with one camera or with one lenses... similar to the Leica challenge a few years back, but that doesn't matter here.

Just take one photo a day and try and post it.

I'm going to post this on a couple other forums as well and blog on it at www.thepicturedesk.blogspot.com.

Let me know if you're in.

Rob Skeoch
    www.thepicturedesk.ca

-Rob bigcameraworkshops.com Robert Skeoch's Avatar

If you call it a "Photography" when you're done.... then it counts.
    -rob

i know its not LF but this is really interesting...

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/15131

http://photooftheday.hughcrawford.com/

same concept.

...your photography will improve dramatically...
    I appreciate the idealism of this claim, but question how often it’s true.

A lot of my best photography “happens” when I’m away from my work; and I’ve snapped many of my least inspired shots because I’m in the field on so many successive days.

Yet, these are two reasons why I still think the challenge is a great idea, even though I presume 97% of us endure too many conflicting claims on the time and dedication it would require.

I’d especially enjoy hearing how this day-to-day effort might affect one’s photography – both from the few who could carry through, and from those who, in the end, could not. The stories would be as much fun as the photos.

One comment I’d expect: “I find myself thinking a lot less about my equipment and technique, and a lot more about composition.” Who knows, maybe the opposite comment would pop-up more often! Another: “I never knew my neighborhood offered so many opportunities for LF photography – it was just a matter of getting out and looking.”

So I will certainly applaud anyone and everyone who accepts this most challenging of New Year’s resolutions.

And maybe additional people will “join” mid-year, inspired by the few who start on January 1st and keep posting great images, and sharing stories about them...

Anyone seen the movie "Smoke?" If not you should, especially in the context of this thread.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    I appreciate the idealism of this claim, but question how often it’s true.

I’d especially enjoy hearing how this day-to-day effort might affect one’s photography – both from the few who could carry through, and from those who, in the end, could not. The stories would be as much fun as the photos.

One comment I’d expect: “I find myself thinking a lot less about my equipment and technique, and a lot more about composition.” Who knows, maybe the opposite comment would pop-up more often! Another: “I never knew my neighborhood offered so many opportunities for LF photography – it was just a matter of getting out and looking.”

So I will certainly applaud anyone and everyone who accepts this most challenging of New Year’s resolution.
    There is no idealism in the claim. I have a bunch of high school students right now proving it true. They're just the latest crop. Richard Ritter proved it true. I have proved it true for myself, and I have also learned how hard it is to fit into life.

Usually those for whom it doesn't work are those who can't get out of their armchairs to actually do it.

Why don't you try it instead of just engaging in idle speculation? It may be that you learn things none of the rest of us do. And if that's the case, good for you!
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com