Thread: who know about it?

who know about it?

Hello and thanks for enter.

I saw this in a photo market but I dont know anything about it. Do you have used this model? I saw itīs a Gitzo but it doesnīt write any model number. Theyīre asking 350 euro ( 500 USA dollars ) for it. Itīs ok? Is too much money?

Iīm looking for a Sinar head for mount my F2 on a Manfrotto 055 but this tripod look very solid. Still I dont know anything about it. Can you help me?

sincerely thanks.

Re: who know about it?

hi eduard,
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes
    the head ofered is 40 years old. seems to be a good investment
    the manfrotto 055 is not appropriate to hold a sinar f2.
    cheers, boris

thank you Boris. Itīs the same for me. Theyīre saying here that the barrel lenses are the finest to make portrait photography. I dont know much about Large format gear but I like a lot the sturdy equipment. I feel I can trust more with older gear that carbon fiber or things like that.

The link that you gave me - itīs not the same model.

Anybody used this?

Lachlan 717

The Manfrotto 055 (metal) will support at least 7kg (approx. 15lbs).

I have no issue with mounting a Horseman L-Series with a big brass lens on mine.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Iīhave the F2 on 055 now but I can make any angle movement. Itīs mounted on the tripod only because still Iīm waiting a Peli case for it and until then, I dont want to keep the camera on the floor. Basically, still I can use this camera on all its movements. I dont know about the Manfrotto advice but I think that 055 tripod can hold in very good condition up to 10 kg.. Iīve submerged this 055Manfrotto 1 metter in rivers, snow and anothers soft elements with a Digital camera (1,5 kg) and I havenīt any problem. I like a lot Gitzo equipment but 055 is a middle range serious tripod.

Still Iīm waiting for someone have use this Gitzo ŋvintage? tripod.

That looks like a vintage #2-series tripod, it would be over-priced by 4-5x at $500. And marginal for a 4x5 Sinar. Go larger.

Drew Wiley

That Gitzo rig will easily hold an F2 steady, simply because it is so easy to balance a Sinar rail. But if it were me I'd simply mount the Sinar rail holder directly to the legs and omit the pan/tilt head altogether, unless you need to shoot straight down. That
    way it will be even more steady. But the price seems rather steep. If I was spending
    that kind of money for something used I'd want carbon fiber.

Quote Originally Posted by eduardtoader View Post
    thank you Boris. Itīs the same for me. Theyīre saying here that the barrel lenses are the finest to make portrait photography. I dont know much about Large format gear but I like a lot the sturdy equipment. I feel I can trust more with older gear that carbon fiber or things like that.

The link that you gave me - itīs not the same model.

Anybody used this?
    A "barrel lens" is just a lens without a shutter. The presence or absence of a shutter by itself has nothing to do with being good or bad for portraits. They perhaps are thinking that a lens without a shutter will automatically be an old lens (which isn't necessarily true) and that old lenses are better for portraits (which also isn't necessarily true).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.