Thread: Have you tried the new (single sheet version) Kodak Readyload packets in Fuji Quickload holders?

Have you tried the new (single sheet version) Kodak Readyload packets in Fuji Quickload holders?

This past weekend forum member Miles Feigenbaum and i tried using the new version of the Kodak Readyload films in a new Fuji Quickload holder. The results were not good. Most times the metal edge on the end of the packet caught as the packet was most of the way out of the holder, hanging up the progress of the film while the outer sleeve continued out smoothly. This resulted in the film being fogged. We eventually traced the problem to the shape of the ridge on the metal end clip. In the Fuji Quickload packets the metal clip has a slight ramp leading up to the ridge. this is not there on the Kodak end clip.

Has anyone else had this problem? How do the Fuji Quickload packets work in the new kodak Readyload holders?

p.s. While I realize that some people will be prone to suggesting using standard double sided instead of either the Quickload or Readyload system, please refrain from doing so. While that is a legitimate subject, it should be (and has been) a proper subject for it's own thread.

Have you tried the new (single sheet version) Kodak Readyload packets in Fuji Quickload holders?

in my post script, I meant to write: "While I realize that some people will be prone to suggesting using standard double sided holdersinstead of either the Quickload or Readyload system...". My apologies for the confusion.

Ellis, I won't be one of those you've asked to refrain, but am curious why you're intent on putting new Readyloads in a Fuji holder. The pressure plate on my new Kodak single sheet Readyload holder *finally* has a depression to compensate for envelope thickness at the insertion end, thereby keeping film in the correct plane. My Quickload holder doesn't account for the envelope, and pushes Fuji films away from the lens at the insertion end. Is the Kodak holder so much trouble to carry that it's not worth doing so for much improved film positioning?

I'm not intent on using QL in the RL holder-- or vice versa. This was an experiment as many people have asked about the cross compatability.

To my surprise, I've had no recent problems with Fuji film in either the old or the new Kodak holder, and no problems with the new Kodak VS single-sheet in either the Fuji or Kodak holder (old or new). I just came back from a trip where I exposed about 100 sheets of mixed Velvia and 100VS in the new Kodak holder--and didn't have a single flare or light leak. There was a little bit of a learning curve with the new Kodak holder--you really have to hold that release button down tight, at least on mine, when removing the film. It wasn't that critical on my old Kodak holders, the film slid out after just a slight push on the button. It's nice to have the Kodak option again--I could never get the double-sheet stuff to work.

Guess I could have done a better job of reading the question! Although I've had no actual problems with Kodak single-sheet in the Fuji holder, it doesn't FEEL as positive as any of the other combinations. However, I've never been a big fan of the Fuji holder; the film just doesn't seem to click-lock or release with the same positive action as the Kodak, and the streamlined, rounded design seems to jiggle around in the camera back.

Wow Scott, thanks for the feed back. I haven't had the insecure feelingswhen using the Quickload back. Which camera are you using it with? I'm using an Arca-Swiss F camera

I have just returned a brand new fuji holder for a refund - bought initially for use with Kodak TMX readyload. Neither I or the dealer could get the packet to seat properly back in the clip and that led to light leaks. Why didnt I just buy a Kodak.... ? They are not available in the UK yet and I was assured that they work by Kodak, Fuji and a very trustworthy dealer ! I am now waitng for a Kodak holder from Badger in the US.

Ellis: I've recently switched to an Arca, too, but my experience with the Fuji holder was mostly with a Linhof MT 2000 and, before that, with a Toyo 45AII. I'll have to dig out my Fuji holder and check its fit...the Arca back does seem tighter. Still, I didn't like the way the film--either Fuji or Kodak--locks and releases inside my Fuji holder. Again, though, no leaks. Maybe I just got used to the clunkier feel of the Kodak system...