Page 94 of 132 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104 ... LastLast

Thread: In Praise of 5x7... Post'em !

Re: In Praise of 5x7... Post'em !

Quote Originally Posted by C Jensen View Post
    Hello all, I am new here and have yet to take any LF photographs. I have taken the plunge and am acquiring the needed equipment. Attached is a photograph taken by my Grandfather (Carl G Jensen) in 1910 with his 5x7. This is a scan from the glass negative. I have a number of his glass negatives and this has lead me to the large format 4x5 and 5x7 world. This particular photo is of my Grandmother and Uncle.
    Carl Attachment 137588
    I'm interested in the depth of this, cool

That's just beautiful. 5x7 is a wonderful format.

Walter's Bluff Bridge, Big Sandy, Texas.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	platinum prints_0012.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	137686

Love that old picture Carl.
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironage View Post
    Love that old picture Carl.
    I'll post some more. Is the image dark on your screen? Do I need to lighten the image? I'm very proud to be left caretaker of his work. From what I can gather he had a Conley. I have the booklet's he saved from the time. I have heard the term "portrait camera" in referance to the camera he owned, but not sure exactly what was meant by that. The camera was sold in the 30's to help pay for an operation for a sister of my father. I am in the process of acquiring LF equipment. I now have a 45 tachihara and will make some photographs of my own very soon. But my real desire is to buy a 57. I can't access the classifieds of this forum as of yet as I have not been a member for 30 days. Any help? Thanks (long live 57).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carl G 1910 a.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	137722Self portrait Carl G Jensen Circ 1907 scanned from 57 glass negative

Quote Originally Posted by C Jensen View Post
    I'll post some more. Is the image dark on your screen? Do I need to lighten the image? I'm very proud to be left caretaker of his work. From what I can gather he had a Conley. I have the booklet's he saved from the time. I have heard the term "portrait camera" in referance to the camera he owned, but not sure exactly what was meant by that. The camera was sold in the 30's to help pay for an operation for a sister of my father. I am in the process of acquiring LF equipment. I now have a 45 tachihara and will make some photographs of my own very soon. But my real desire is to buy a 57. I can't access the classifieds of this forum as of yet as I have not been a member for 30 days. Any help? Thanks (long live 57).
    Carl, Conley was a trade name that I think Monkey Wards used for their cameras. someone will correct me if that's wrong. But the Conley cameras I've been acquainted with were identical in most ways with Gundlach who very likely was the mfr. for MW. Sears was SeRoCo Sears Roebuck and Co. and so on. None of them are hard to find. I've sold several over the years but don't have one for you just now. They are handsome little cameras. Light and nimble. Wait for a good one. Nothing worse than trying to use an old piece of junk.

Posted on the web, it brings tears to my eyes. (long live 57)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Carl, Conley was a trade name that I think Monkey Wards used for their cameras. someone will correct me if that's wrong. But the Conley cameras I've been acquainted with were identical in most ways with Gundlach who very likely was the mfr. for MW. Sears was SeRoCo Sears Roebuck and Co. and so on. None of them are hard to find. I've sold several over the years but don't have one for you just now. They are handsome little cameras. Light and nimble. Wait for a good one. Nothing worse than trying to use an old piece of junk.
    Jim, thanks. I was not looking for the history of the Conleys. They were a sears camera. I have a old Conley 45 folder. I am in the market for a little better quality 57 than the Conley. I won a deardoff on ebay but that fell through.

5x7 Delta 100 in Pyrocat M