Page 54 of 132 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast

Thread: In Praise of 5x7... Post'em !

Re: In Praise of 5x7... Post'em !

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    I tried a shot like that of two soccer goals at my local park a couple of months ago, but it was not nearly the success that yours is.

Additionally: how do you spot meter a relatively high-key scene like this? There doesn't appear to be much Zone III fodder for placing the shadows.

Jonathan

EDIT: It looks like your trip to Nevada was photographically fruitful.
    The grass that wasn't dead seemed like about Zone V to me so I went off that and then gave it a little more exposure more to try and get the mid-day, blasted-out feeling I wanted. In general, I tend to overexpose a bit as I find I can rein things in later (up to a point) in the scanning phase.

As for Nevada, yeah, the desert is usually pretty good to me. I think it also helped that I'd been really struggling for about a month prior, so it was kind of like when the dam finally broke the waters flowed well. Of course, with the end of my trip's negatives in sight, I'm starting to despair-"What am I going to do now?" I've even been telling myself that I'm done, retiring, hanging it up, but then, that's just the sort of thing I do to trick myself into carrying on. Ha!

You've been posting some great stuff lately (Big Pink, Steel Bridge). Please know that if I don't comment, it's not for lack of enthusiasm but because I get kind of overloaded with my own work and with my crazy domestic situation.
    Last edited by austin granger; 2-May-2013 at 08:44. Reason: I'm a terrible speller.

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    The grass that wasn't dead seemed like about Zone V to me so I went off that and then gave it a little more exposure more to try and get the mid-day, blasted-out feeling I wanted. In general, I tend to overexpose a bit as I find I can rein things in later (up to a point) in the scanning phase.

As for Nevada, yeah, the desert is usually pretty good to me. I think it also helped that I'd been really struggling for about a month prior, so it was kind of like when the dam finally broke the waters flowed well. Of course, with the end of my trip's negatives in sight, I'm starting to despair-"What am I going to do now?" I've even been telling myself that I'm done, retiring, hanging it up, but then, that's just the sort of thing I do to trick myself into carrying on. Ha!

You've been posting some great stuff lately (Big Pink, Steel Bridge). Please know that if I don't comment, it's not for lack of enthusiasm but because I get kind of overloaded with my own work and with my crazy domestic situation.
    That would have been my guess about the metering. Thanks for clarifying. And as for making comments, not a problem. I go through phases where I comment frequently on people's work and other times I don't do it at all.

I haven't shot a single photo in over a week. I loaded the Mamiya 7 and took it out and about but couldn't find anything worthy of clicking the shutter! I thought a roll film camera would free me up, but I may have fallen completely into the LF camp at this point. If only I could make the M7 viewfinder show an upside down image....

Jonathan

As 5x7 is my preferred format of choice I thought it about time I posted an image here. I only hope that in time I can reach the standard of some of the regular posters in this thread.

Redundant pressure filters at Tottiford WTW.

Canham MCQ 5x7, 72mm SA XL @ f45, 4 minute exposure on Adox CHS 25, developed in divided Pyrocat HD.

Redundant Pressure Filters (Tottiford Water Treatment Works) by Ed Bray, on Flickr

I like it and it shows a great tonal range, love the contrast too. It is a dynamic composition as well.
    I have the same camera!
    Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

A late evening in beautiful old Bern, Switzerland.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	52.0 KB 
ID:	94448
    Canham 5x7, Apo-sironar S 150mm. Tri X pan.
    Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

Lee Smathers

More from Gaya Mountain in South Korea.

Gaya Mountain #11 by Lee Smathers, on Flickr
    Eastman 2-D 5x7, Super Angulon 120mm, HP5+, Rodinal 1:100

Gaya Mountain #12 by Lee Smathers, on Flickr
    Eastman 2-D 5x7, Super Angulon 120mm, HP5+, Rodinal 1:100

Name:	_MG_9664.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	94558

Korona 5x7
    noname lens 210/4.5
    efke 100pl, ilfosol3

Lee Smathers

Every time, I develop and process 5x7 negatives from my clunky 2-D, I'm reminded why I love this format - it's the perfect compromise of 4x5 and 8x10, better detail than 5x7 and not as bulky as the 8x10. Just ordered 2 more boxes of FP4+ over the weekend. I played with a slightly shorter developing time this time, but like results from my times at 12 min better with my work flow. I think I'll play more with FP4+ @100 in Rodinal 1:50 for 12 min in the future. I like what I'm getting with it.

Some new ones from a photo shoot over the weekend at Gaji Mountain:

Gaji Mountain #07 by Lee Smathers, on Flickr

Gaji Mountain #04 by Lee Smathers, on Flickr

Both: Eastman Kodak 2-D, Super-Angulon 120mm, FP4+ (@100), Rodinal 1:50 11 min

test noname lens 210/4.5

Just checking out exposure and development times and posting one of Arista 200 shot at 100 ISO developed in Xtol.

Name:	arista200-5x7.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	94763