Thread: Will a Linhof release work in a Sinar shutter

Will a Linhof release work in a Sinar shutter

Hi Everyone,
    I just won a basket case Sinar shutter from eBay. My questions is I know the Sinar needs a super long throw release to actuate the shutter. I have a Linhof cable that seems strangely long.

Can someone with a Sinar please measure the needed "pin" to trip the Sinar shutter? Oh, is the thread even the same??

Hmmmm ....

Thanks~
    Steve

Re: Will a Linhof release work in a Sinar shutter

You can search for it here and over at APUG. I know that this have been discussed before with pictures and all. Anyhow, without having the release at hand, I think the throw needed is some 37mm (1½").
    Btw, a tip for the search could be to include "Copal" in the search terms if you don't find it with e.g. "Sinar shutter release" or something similar.

//Björn

Its never long enough with the Linhof one and it has also to be very thick also, otherwise it would just break!

Cheers Armin

The reason for the long throw is that you cock the shutter while you press the release. This also explains why you have to press quite hard. (Very hard compared to releasing an ordinary shutter.)
    I've just measured the throw, which indeed is about 37mm when my shutter releases. (The full throw of the release is 40mm.) The actuator (?) pin is between 1.5-2mm wide, probably because of the load put on it.
    Last, the thread isn't the same. While an ordinary conical release thread most certainly will sit in the thread, there's a risk that it will pop out when the release starts to press the rather heavy cocking action of the shutter (before the actual release). The thread of the Sinar shutter is a straight thread.

So, in short, get a proper release. These shutters are real workhorses and are quite valuable if you e.g. want to shoot older barrel lenses. The sad part is that the releases usually cost quite a lot of money in the Ebay auctions, i.e. more than their actual value, but it's a matter of supply and demand I guess.

//Björn

You can also use a thin screwdriver or "pin punch" to release the shutter, which sounds like it would vibrate more than the usual cable release... but Sinar shutters are beasts and I'm not so sure that the big Sinar cable release is that much smoother.

Thanks guys, I was just hopin' to not have to pay a million $$ for a cable, but alas ... it is photo equipment !!

Steve

Hi Steve,

This is a service manual for the shutter in case you haven't already found it.

http://www.image2output-support.com/...s/Shutters.pdf

I was on the point of separating the cocking & release functions on one of mine so as to be able to use a standard release...but then got lucky & found 2 Sinar releases on eBay.

Now I'm thinking about throwing out all the clockwork & springs and using stepper motors or solenoids instead so that the shutter won't throw the camera & tripod into the next field when it fires...

Cheers, David.

Ha!
    Thanks Everyone ... I found 2 releases. One is a "Norma" vintage one $100 and old as me looking, and a second one $10 more and who knows what vintage. (of course I missed one on eBay last week ... $65...)

David, thanks for the repair info. I know there is conflicting opinions about vibration in these guys, is your experience Really that bad?

Ho Ho!!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKarr View Post
    Ha!
    Thanks Everyone ... I found 2 releases. One is a "Norma" vintage one $100 and old as me looking, and a second one $10 more and who knows what vintage. (of course I missed one on eBay last week ... $65...)

David, thanks for the repair info. I know there is conflicting opinions about vibration in these guys, is your experience Really that bad?

Ho Ho!!

Steve
    Well, the prices for these releases are indeed crazy. (I still curse at myself for not bidding on a couple of these releases in a swedish auction some time ago. 2 releases went for some $35 or so. )

About the vibration, it's quite simple. They really slam shut and cause a major vibration, so there's no wonder why people are getting worried about it. But it seems like all the vibrations comes in, or rather after the closing stage of the shutter operation. I.e. the first stage is that you press the release quite hard (very hard compared to any ordinary shutter), but that in itself only releases the shutter. (It seems like there are some kind of shock absorbers to stop the opening phase.) But when the shutter blades comes back to closing position, it feels like nothing that catches the motion but the shutter housing itself, which leads to both loud sound and some definite vibration. I've tested it with the camera on a rather small tripod (good for a 35 or maybe a Hasselblad but it should definitely react to the vibration from the Sinar shutter, if that vibration came during the exposure), with absolutely no vibrations visible at all in the negative. (The way I tested it was to use the Copal shutter for one shot and in the next keeping the shutter open while winging it with a "Jim Galli patented wrist shutter". (That "Jim Galli..." one is similar to "hat off ... hat on", which causes no vibration at all.) In this test I think I used 1/15 sec or so, so that any vibration should constiture enough part of the exposure to be visible. There are many others who have come to and posted about the same conclusion.
    Another way of seeing it would be that it seems rather impossible that Sinar could or would keep up with successfully selling the very same shutter for more than 40 years with quite a good reputation for reliability, but in those 40 odd years no "bad press" about the shutter causing vibrations. As far as I know there havn't been any notes or even a single word from Sinar about an "updated" version with any vibration issues in mind. (There are three major versions of this shutter. First, the older green Norma-version wth no aperture control, second the black DB-version and third an updated DB-version which have a maximum f/4 instead of f/5.6 on the DB aperture control.)

//Björn

Björn,
    You are the greatest !!

Steve