Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Century 8A Studio Camera adventure

Century 8A Studio Camera adventure

I finally convinced myself that there were limits to the lenses my 8x10 Kodak 2D and Deardorff could handle, so I've been looking for a studio camera and stand. It's not easy finding ones in nice condition with decent bellows, but I located one in the Detroit area and came to an agreement with the owner. He wouldn't ship, but agreed to meet me in Toledo with the camera. That's a solid 7+ hour drive for me, so my plan was to drive down yesterday with the girlfriend, stay overnight in Toledo and head back today. Well, the big snow storm threw a wrench in my plans.

I left yesterday at 6:00 am and arrived in Toledo at 2:00 pm. The camera and stand looked great and I filled up my car with all the pieces. While we were deciding on what to see in Toledo, the girlfriend calls to check on the weather and it sounds like the forecast keeps getting worse. We decide to head straight back to Maryland. Traffic is heavy around Pittsburgh and by the time we hit I-270 to drop down into Maryland, it's been snowing for a couple of hours and the road is complete chaos. The plows haven't touched the southbound lanes and cars are skidding and crashing everywhere.

In Washington snow storms, some drivers go 55, and some go 5 mph--causing the chaos. We finally made it home around midnight after 18 straight hours of driving--probably a record for me. We unload the camera and stand, and I pass out.

Today, I've been happily snowed in and got to assemble and clean up the 8A and Master Studio stand. What a great camera--very simple and well made. It takes a 10" lens board, so I figure that easily covers any lens I can afford. I have an 18" Petzval portrait lens on the way (thanks Frank!). I need to make a few simple repairs including patching some bellows holes, and a couple of wood repairs--but otherwise it's in very nice condition. It came with an ILEXPO shutter box, which isn't working at the moment, but looks like it can be fixed. If anyone has experience troubleshooting these shutters, I have a few questions.

It's a big camera, but I'm renting some new studio space--so it has a place to live. It's good to be a little crazy now and then.

Re: Century 8A Studio Camera adventure

Cool! Sounds like you are having fun! My Century 7A on its stand sits in the living room. I wish I had more space than I do. I'd love to play with this big brass lens. At the moment, I can only focus outside or across the room to use it.

Nice space you have in that second shot.

Space always seems to be an issue with large format. At least the Century studio camera look pretty while they're taking up space. I'd love to find some big cheap loft space around DC--but alas, it doesn't exist. My new studio will be shared with a few other artists, but it should work out for the 8A. Do you have any family members that might be amenable to moving out?

Future home of Century 8A

Big Bend

awesome man! I'm envious! What no beer in the new studio?

It's coming, Joe, it's coming.

Congrats! We are a small fraternity these days.........people crazy enough to own one of these. Did you get the 11X14 back with it? The Ilexpo's are very simple and straight forward. Take the tin cover off the back and start cleaning. Make sure you've got a good seal on the supply hose, and get a new bulb at Harbor Freight. They sell them for concrete workers that need to blow small areas clean. Now when that 24" Eidoscop comes your way, you'll be set.

wfwhitaker

So the 8A is an 11x14? (I can never keep Century numbers straight...) Heck, I would've made the drive, too!

Congratulations! I also recently bought a massive camera and stand, but don't yet have the space for it. Mine will sit in storage until late this summer, after I have rebuilt the garage...

Will--yes, the 8A is an 11x14 camera. I agree, the numbering system for Century Studio cameras isn't particularly helpful. The 7A is 8x10, but so is the 10A. I'm not expert, but I think anything other than an 8A is an 8x10 camera. Maybe someone else has decoded the system.

Jason--thanks, which camera did you get? I'd have a hard time keeping it in storage. I've already got the rear standard off of mine to do some repairs.

I found a Deardorff Studio 11x14 locally, complete with 11' stand. The camera is in my basement on a table looking pretty while being repaired, but the stand is just way too tall for my basement, so it will have to wait for the garage.