Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Digital back for Linhof Master Technika/advice sought

Re: Digital back for Linhof Master Technika/advice sought

Again,

Thanks all for the interesting and useful comments, along with the links above. I feel like I am getting up to speed.
    I am left thinking, film is all there is, for 4x5 in the field. At least, in the sense that major changes would have to be made to switch to digital. I only dread the possible demise of E6 processing.

Definitely rent before buying. For example, digital works best with more precise movements than film. For instance, I'm not a fan of using a Phase back on a Sinar P2, as the gearing is to coarse for my liking with digital, whereas a P2 is outstanding for film use. Hence the P3...
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Definitely rent before buying. For example, digital works best with more precise movements than film. For instance, I'm not a fan of using a Phase back on a Sinar P2, as the gearing is to coarse for my liking with digital, whereas a P2 is outstanding for film use. Hence the P3...
    Which has very imprecise movements in the gearing compared to the M679 system which uses no grease.

I'm no longer a large format user although I was in my youth. I don't think digital backs and 4x5 cameras are that well suited for some of the reasons already touched on in this topic. as a very useful overview of digital back usage, take a look at this review on 'Luminous-Landscape' of a purpose made digital back system using 35mm tilt and shift lenses;

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...blei-cam.shtml

Even if you are not interested in this type of camera which is now made by a small handful of different makers such as Alpa and Sivestri etc, this will still give you a good grasp of getting th ebest out of a medium format digital back system.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugleone View Post
    I'm no longer a large format user although I was in my youth. I don't think digital backs and 4x5 cameras are that well suited for some of the reasons already touched on in this topic. as a very useful overview of digital back usage, take a look at this review on 'Luminous-Landscape' of a purpose made digital back system using 35mm tilt and shift lenses;

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...blei-cam.shtml

Even if you are not interested in this type of camera which is now made by a small handful of different makers such as Alpa and Sivestri etc, this will still give you a good grasp of getting th ebest out of a medium format digital back system.
    Definitely poor choice of lenses for most of those images, unless you want an ultra-wide look to everything. The smaller idea body is nice, but I think the capture area needs to be larger than 6x4.5 sized to really get somewhere with these. However, with longer focal length lenses that avoid that wide angle look, these types of systems can be useful. I also think you can add the Gottschalt choices to ALPA and Silvestri. The ALPA and Gottschalt are only shift with most lenses, while the Silvestri system offers some tilting choices. Hopefully something improves in the next couple years in these choices.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography

Gordon,

No, with respect, I don't think it is a "poor choice of lenses" as those are rather better in several ways than LF film lenses intended for 4x5. You are right that "...the capture area needs to be larger than 6x4.5.." However, the fact is that the largest of these digital backs is only 48 x 38mm, or thereabouts. As far as I am aware there is still NO digital back to equal 6x6 rollfilm image size (actually 56 x 56mm), let alone larger formats.

This is why there are only scanning backs to fill the 4x5 image area as mentioned at the start of this topic.

And,...yes, the 'Gottschalt' is another of these systems,..there are about 7 different ones now and there will doubtless be some more very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugleone View Post
    Gordon,

No, with respect, I don't think it is a "poor choice of lenses" as those are rather better in several ways than LF film lenses intended for 4x5. .......
    So you think the Canon Tilt/Shift 24mm and 17mm are better than which large format lenses? Better in what ways?

By the way, that is not what I meant by my statement. I think the images in that article are poorly executed, regardless of what lenses he used, but that is my opinion.

I own a Betterlight Scanning back, its not that bad in the field, I use it primarily outdoors. It does take a little longer to setup, as you have to aim the camera and boot the computer. But it does give the most outstanding & wonderful files.

If I was to spend my money on a phase one back, I would simply get a medium format system, no benefit from using a large format system apart from the movements which probably won't translate so easily on a smaller digital back anyhow. Not to mention a medium format setup would be much lighter, quicker and a more technologically capable camera.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

lazy retired bum

Blending a traditional 4x5 camera and digital seems tricky at best. One ends up essentially starting over with a new technical camera, such as the Linhof 679 or Techno, or a medium format body such as a Phase or Hasselblad, and all new lenses.

Essentially one builds a medium format digital system from scratch. The traditional 4x5 short lenses become standard lenses, the standard lenses become long lenses; and, according to some, all of the traditional lenses we have used and loved for so long need to be replaced by "digital" lenses anyway. When all is said and done one is really no longer a large format photographer, if that matters...

Putting a 2"x1.5" 48mm x 36mm back on a real 4x5, such as a Technika is not much different than using a roll film back except that one needs new lenses and benefits from the impressive quality these back produce at the cost of many dollars and convenience. Sounds like a lot of work and expense unless one is earning serious money and can write it off as a business expense. At this point, if I want the benefits of digital, I'll use my D700; if I want the benefits of 4x5 I'll use film, unless I win the lottery, roughly as probable as getting hit by lightning... twice.

Eric