Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fitting a Maxwell screen to a Chamonix 045N-1

Fitting a Maxwell screen to a Chamonix 045N-1

I know there's been some discussion on the problem of fitting a Maxwell screen on a Chamonix and the problem that the retaining clips won't accommodate the new cover glass. Should anyone be interested, I've posted a blog entry on my website outlining in detail, how I adjusted my retaining clips so the Maxwell screen fits perfectly. You can read it here:http://www.peaklandscapes.com/blog.php

I have to say the Maxwell screen has transformed the camera, it's soooo much brighter. I'm considering getting an even brighter HI-LUX Ultra Brilliant Matte 4.7 allowing me to move the regular Hi-Lux to my Wista.

Dav

Re: Fitting a Maxwell screen to a Chamonix 045N-1

Very helpful, thanks.

Nice work--thanks for posting.

UniB,
    how about the film registration - is the Maxwell screen identical in this regard as the original Chamonix gg?

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    UniB,
    how about the film registration - is the Maxwell screen identical in this regard as the original Chamonix gg?
    It doesn't effect film registration at all – the ground glass fits exactly where the Chamonix GG was, so the focus surface is in exactly the same place.

Quote Originally Posted by uniB View Post
    It doesn't effect film registration at all – the ground glass fits exactly where the Chamonix GG was, so the focus surface is in exactly the same place.
    Only if in both cases the distance between the film surface and the grounded glass side is the same. You mean it is the case because you measured it?

Only if in both cases the distance between the film surface and the grounded glass side is the same. You mean it is the case because you measured it?
    Yes the distance is the same – the frosted side of the Chamonix GG faces the lens, this is removed and replaced by the Maxwell, the frosted side of which also faces the lens – they sit in the same recess and the only thickness difference is behind the focus plane.

I measured everything with a digital caliper and the measurements are the same. I also checked that the recess was milled to the correct depth in the Chamonix and it was correct – allowing the ground glass to be the same distance away as my Quickload holder with film.

Dav

Quote Originally Posted by uniB View Post
    Yes the distance is the same – the frosted side of the Chamonix GG faces the lens, this is removed and replaced by the Maxwell, the frosted side of which also faces the lens – they sit in the same recess and the only thickness difference is behind the focus plane.

Dav
    A thickness difference is behind the focus plane - i.e. on the lens side? Otherwise (were it behind the focus plane on the viewer's side) we would have troubles...

A thickness difference is behind the focus plane - i.e. on the lens side? Otherwise (were it behind the focus plane on the viewer's side) we would have troubles...
    Oh I'm confused now! It doesn't take much!

There is nothing betwee the ground glass surface and the lens. Behind the GG surface there's the Maxwell fresnel which is joined to the GG and the cover glass.

I guess the proof the pudding is in the eating - I've shot probably about 30 sheets since I fitted the Maxwell and haven't had any issues with focus.

Noting the "WE", how did this work on YOUR Chamonix?