Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Workshops...?

Re: Workshops...?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post
    Carbon workshop in Yosemite by Vaughn Hutchins 4/19 - 4/23. I took this last year and am going again this year ... it's that good. Link to AA Gallery
    Thanks for the good word, Jim.

My focus is on giving the participants a solid practical footing in this incredible process in a relaxed fun atmosphere. And it is hard to beat being in Yosemite in the Spring during the week.

I also give a shorter version (weekend) in Newport, Oregon in May for those who live in the mountains and wish to travel to the sea instead. But the longer Yosemite workshop affords us the time to dig a little deeper into the process and do a little more fine-tuning and experimentation.

If anyone is interested in more information on my carbon printing workshops can contact me here or at vgh7001@humboldt.edu

Vaughn

New Orleans, LA

I can vouch for Kim Weston's Nude in Platinum workshop. It was fantastic! And, of course, being on Wildcat Hill just can't be beat. I'll never forget making my first platinum print in Edward's darkroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    I have been getting a lot of younger students who are interested in LF. I think it's great but keep wondering where they come up with the money.

have you seen the price they pay for electronics? they probably siphon off the top of their electronics fund...

BTW robert's educational workshops are top notch.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Highly recommend Tillman Crane's Platinum/Palladium workshop. He lives in Maine but does workshops elsewhere too (I attended one in Florida). You will leave with some great prints and the ability to replicate the process at your home.

Also 2nd the recommendation for "Vision & Techniques" workshop with Michael Smith & Paula Chamlee. Its not restricted to AZO/Lodima enthusiasts for it also covers how to explore a scene - the vision thing. And the darkroom techniques are applicable to all traditional B&W printing.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

I'd like to second the comments about Bruce Barnbaum and Don Kirby's workshops. Bruce's darkroom workshops (I can't speak about his field trips) are full hands-on. You work, think, and talk non-stop from breakfast until late at night. If you need kind words and have your ego massaged, it isn't for you. But if you want to think afresh, get really serious about what you are doing (on everything from composition and set-up of the camera to mounting the final prints), and come away with more hints and practical advice than you ever thought possible, then Bruce is for you. He is a world-class teacher and his book, The Art of Photography, is excellent. And he continues to be available to help and advise those who have done his workshops.

Don Kirby is also a superb teacher and an inspiration. He is not high-octane like Bruce, but a real gentleman and highly experienced in getting across both the aesthetic and technical aspects of his craft. I did one of this Anasazi/Grand Gulch trips and it was one of the best weeks I have ever spent. Unfortunately, I don't think that he and Joan are doing field trip workshops in the canyons any more. But check his website, or send him an email. Cheers, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    Good education has a cost of time and money and is rarely a wasted investment.
    Very true. Actually, I don't think good education can ever be a wasted investment for the people with the right mindset. At the very bottom level, it is a great entertainment. Much better than anything we can see on TV or at the games of any sort.

The Gladding McBean workshop is superb.

Roger

http://www.viewpointgallery.org/cont...ing_mcbean.php

I added this little web page to my site, describing a bit more of the "what and where".

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    I added this little web page to my site, describing a bit more of the "what and where".
    Ken -- the picture of you with your view camera -- either you or the camera is pointed the wrong way!

Heavens - I thought the film is supposed to face the subject - You've finally explained why subjects never appear in the photos I make !