Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UK Import Duties on Camera for Repair?

Japan Exposures

Re: UK Import Duties on Camera for Repair?

Why do you think the shipping forms have separate sections for item value and insurance value then? I inquired at the post office about this before and the two values do not necessarily have to be related.

If it is insured and gets lost or damaged you are indeed entitled to compensation under the terms of the insurance. That's why you pay the insurance premium. The item value is for import/customs purposes. You can choose to under- or overinsure I suppose, depending on your preferences. It also depends on the country where you are importing and their rules.

Maybe I'm being too honest... I would not want to set the value at zero and then try to insure for $2500.
    It still remains that I won't know for sure on the import taxes until after it is in their hands and I'll have no way to recover the expense.
    It is also a situation with the US Post Office. One can insure an item via Express Mail for up to only $650 not the $2500 that is more in line with it's true value. To get the true value insurance one must send it Global Express Guaranteed which will cost about $200
    it just isn't going to happen.
    thanks though.

Declaring a value as one thing and insuring it for what it's worth is neither dishonest nor fraud: it's not like you should be paying any duties on a temporary import for repair purposes only, it's just that the bureaucratic system is not designed to cope with the relatively small number of transactions involved. It is your duty as a free citizen in a democratic world to make the system, flawed as it is, work for you in the correct way, and marking the goods as TEMPORARY IMPORT FOR REPAIR: VALUE FOR CUSTOMS PURPOSES = NIL, whilst insuring it against loss or damage by the carrier, is doing just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    It is your duty as a free citizen in a democratic world to make the system, flawed as it is, work for you in the correct way, and marking the goods as TEMPORARY IMPORT FOR REPAIR: VALUE FOR CUSTOMS PURPOSES = NIL, whilst insuring it against loss or damage by the carrier, is doing just that.
    As already said by others, marking the goods in this way doesn't help. If it worked in this way, whatever dude could write it there when buying goods and be happy...
    You need to add proofs of purchase and ownership first and only then write the story about a repair...

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    As already said by others, marking the goods in this way doesn't help. If it worked in this way, whatever dude could write it there when buying goods and be happy...
    You need to add proofs of purchase and ownership first and only then write the story about a repair...
    Actually it does. Providing you mark the goods as less than £18 they will pass through without attracting duty. The people that have posted here that have had a problem (including yourself), have AFAICT, put the replacement value of the goods on the customs form - which being more than £18, will attract duty and a non-returnable 'processing' fee.

If you send to a VAT registered business they should be able to claim the VAT element back anyway (which is usually most if not all of the customs charges), but they will still incur the processing fee and the inconvenience.

As Dirk said, it also depends on the country where you're importing and their rules. See also post #12... Also, declaring value as 0 can be fraud in itself if the value is not such. You cannot import a pound of gold and mark its value as 0. Let alone the fact than in many cases the shipping postage itself is more than £18 limit etc.

You can legitimately mark the value as zero because that is what you are charging the receiver for the goods. They are not paying you anything for the items so there is no value to declare duty on and the cost of shipping is irrelevant because it doesn't form part of the 'price' of the items.. That doesn't mean the item is worth nothing from an insurance ptv though.

I believe the title of the thread is "UK import Duties ..." so if you want to discuss other country requirements you might prefer to start a new thread.

I guess given that I'm now the only one that can 'see' GPS' posts, this must look like a bit of a rant on my part ...

You can legitimately mark the value as zero because that is what you are charging the receiver for the goods. They are not paying you anything for the items so there is no value to declare duty on and the cost of shipping is irrelevant because it doesn't form part of the 'price' of the items.. That doesn't mean the item is worth nothing from an insurance ptv though.

I believe the title of the thread is "UK import Duties ..." so if you want to discuss other country requirements you might prefer to start a new thread.
    See the p.*12 though...
    And yes, even if shipping is not a part of the price of the item it enters into the taxes calculation, that's the bad point.

I guess given that I'm now the only one that can 'see' GPS' posts, this must look like a bit of a rant on my part ...
    Don't worry, the fact that somebody sees or not my posts doesn't change anything on the quality of your rants...