Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UK Import Duties on Camera for Repair?

Re: UK Import Duties on Camera for Repair?

Robert,

Mark it "Export for repair and return" and there shouldn't be a problem, and declare the value as zero. I've done that before sending items to businesses.

Cheers, Steve

Speak to HM Customs in the UK. They told me a while ago exactly what to do (Sorry forgotten exactly what they advise) and how to mark any paperwork - this was, however for sending a camera for repair out of the UK rather than into. I think they hold a reference as well. Linhof studio could make the call for you to save $$$ on your phone bill. I think you need to inc. a copy of the purchase receipt in the package to prove that you have paid any duties due in your own country, and to prove that you have already purchased it.

When I phoned they told me because I had logged the case, if any duties were payable, I could claim them back due to having a reference number for the case.

Quote Originally Posted by deadpan View Post

I think you need to inc. a copy of the purchase receipt in the package to prove that you have paid any duties due in your own country, and to prove that you have already purchased it.

I remember something similar too, when I was told, after-hand, how to proceed. The paperwork was such that I gladly forgot it for the future. Unless I had papers for every Paypal payment and Ebay purchase step for the item I would be out of luck anyway...

The whole matter is pointless since Linhof factory service in the USA (Marflex) is as good or better then anywhere else. There is no reason to run the risks of export and repair in a foreign country. Unless you just want to spend money.

I'll be sending the equipment to Martin at Marflex. The shipping costs and tax risk are too high.
    Thanks for all the help.

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    That's what Grimes wrote on my shutter, insured for the whole value... I paid the whole amount of taxes regardless...
    boy, that sucks. you could not convince them it was yours to start with. sounds kind of dodgy that you would have to pay duty on an item you already owned.......

i am glad the USA does not charge customs duties on anything of mine. i even declared 1200$ of commercial goods at the airport one day (we get $800 no worries) just to see what happens. they let me go no tax, no worries.....but i have very good luck with customs, immigration etc etc.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    boy, that sucks. you could not convince them it was yours to start with. sounds kind of dodgy that you would have to pay duty on an item you already owned.......

It does suck, indeed. And I needed to pay a tax even from the postage of the package! Grimes (not even asked to do so!) had the best intentions though...

I once bought a petzval lens from a company in the UK. It turned out not to be what had been stated so I returned it. Marked the package "returning to country of origin" and still had to pay $50 taxes. So it cost me $50 plus shipping just to look at the lens.

Right. Custom officers were infamous already in the biblical times...;-) Nowadays it seems as if with the greater travel freedom (at least in Europe) they invented even more ways to take you to the cleaners. In some cases, sending the merchandise to a friend in the country of its origin and bringing it back with a cheap airline undeclared is a better option - especially, when you plan the visit anyway.
    When I used to receive checks from photo stock agencies in a foreign country I cashed them there to avoid several additional rips off at home. Now even this is not possible - although double imposition is avoided by new measures.

Japan Exposures

Be sure to mark as "No Commercial Value" and avoid UPS/DHL etc, use EMS. Set the value low or zero, insure appropriately to actual value.