Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UK Import Duties on Camera for Repair?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

UK Import Duties on Camera for Repair?

I'm trying to send a camera to Linhof Studio in England for a repair. I'm afraid of the possibility of a big hit on import duties or VAT tax through UK Customs even though the camera is not changing ownership - just there for a few days for service and repair.
    Does anyone here know how I go about avoiding these taxes?
    thank you.

Re: UK Import Duties on Camera for Repair?

The best approach is probably to ask Linhof Studio how to avoid it, and if they don't know, ask them to phone the Customs and Excise helpline to find out.

They didn't quite know either. I know when Custom bellows in England made a bellows for me, they had me put " IPR SUSPENSION” on the package, but I don't know if that applies to this situation. Maybe they can call the tax people and find out as you said.

If they are VAT registered (which I assume they are), they could just pay the VAT and claim it back as 'input VAT' on their VAT return - but that's probably not technically the right thing to do. I'll ask a friend of mine tomorrow - he may know.

The IPR SUSPENSION thing might work, but it might be that you have to pre-register to be able to receive goods that way.

Where are you located?

mark the customs forms "return for repair" or something similar. what value are you insuring it for? if you can trust them only insure it for a bit and then you will have no problems. EMS mail from the PO is very fast and they have not lost any of my stuff yet. you can track it on line as well.

keep us posted.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    mark the customs forms "return for repair" or something similar. what value are you insuring it for? if you can trust them only insure it for a bit and then you will have no problems. EMS mail from the PO is very fast and they have not lost any of my stuff yet. you can track it on line as well.

keep us posted.

eddie
    That's what Grimes wrote on my shutter, insured for the whole value... I paid the whole amount of taxes regardless...

I'm in the USA.
    I think I'd pucker too much not insuring it
    I went to the UK Import Duties webpage and wrote them an email. Maybe they will give me some good information.
    I probably will contact the Linhof Studio again to see if they can help on that end.
    If all else fails, I'll write on the customs form "in for repair" and hope for the best.
    Since we're this close to the holiday, going to wait until the first of the year, although I would have liked to have the work in progress.
    If anyone comes up with some good information please let me know.
    Thanks for the help.
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    That's what Grimes wrote on my shutter, insured for the whole value... I paid the whole amount of taxes regardless...
    boy, that sucks. you could not convince them it was yours to start with. sounds kind of dodgy that you would have to pay duty on an item you already owned.......

i am glad the USA does not charge customs duties on anything of mine. i even declared 1200$ of commercial goods at the airport one day (we get $800 no worries) just to see what happens. they let me go no tax, no worries.....but i have very good luck with customs, immigration etc etc.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    boy, that sucks. you could not convince them it was yours to start with. sounds kind of dodgy that you would have to pay duty on an item you already owned.......

It does suck, indeed. And I needed to pay a tax even from the postage of the package! Grimes (not even asked to do so!) had the best intentions though...