Thread: FOUR by FIVE - Large Format Contest

FOUR by FIVE - Large Format Contest

Contest Description and Entry Form

FOUR by FIVE
    Juried By: Steve Simmons
    Entries must be submitted by 2.1.2010

Since the inception of photography, 170 years ago, techniques have changed and processes have evolved but the one constant has been the view camera. From the age of the Daguerrotype to the present age of digital imaging the view camera has been the instrument of choice for discerning image makers.

The New Orleans Photo Alliance is seeking contemporary imagery from photographers using large format view cameras. Steve Simmons, publisher of VIEW CAMERA MAGAZINE and author of USING THE VIEW CAMERA will choose four images each from five different photographers. The five photographers chosen will also be published in a future edition of View Camera Magazine.

Entries will be accepted online via the New Orleans Photo Alliance website (http://www.neworleansphotoalliance.org) beginning Tuesday, December 15, 2009. The deadline for submissions will be midnight Monday, February 1, 2010 and notification of accepted artists will be Monday, February 8, 2010. Deadline for delivery of accepted work (matted, framed and gallery ready) will be Friday, March 26, 2010. The opening reception will be Saturday, April 3, 2010.

For more information contact Thom Bennett, VP of Programming, The New Orleans Photo Alliance; 51Deardorff@gmail.com.

New Orleans, LA

Re: FOUR by FIVE - Large Format Contest

Ed, Thanks for posting this. We want the exhibit to show that view cameras are as relevant in today's image making as they have been over the past 170 years so we are looking for contemporary photography being done with a view camera. Any style, any process, any subject matter, any format as long as it was photographed with a view camera. The exhibit will be showcased in our beautiful Garden District gallery in New Orleans during the months of April and May, 2010 and will be featured in a subsequent issue of View Camera Magazine. Jazz Fest is the last weekend in April and the first weekend in May so if you like music and photography please come visit us at that time. The exhibit itself will be intimate; four images each from five different photographers; each photographer will have plenty of room. We are also planning a film series during the run of the exhibit as well as a program we call Six Shooters; a moderated panel discussion that will feature six photographers who use view cameras. There also may be a workshop on using the view camera as well; still working on the details. If anyone has any questions please do not hesitate to ask: 51Deardorff@gmail.com. Look forward to seeing some interesting work!

There is a small typo this page http://www.neworleansphotoalliance.org/callEntry.php

It mentions the URL of the submission page, followed by an underscore character. You want to remove the underscore.

New Orleans, LA

Ken, I'm not sure I follow. The link takes me directly to the submission page.

On this page http://www.neworleansphotoalliance.org/callEntry.php, you will see an extra underscore-character, following the link. It's just a minor typo.

The URL, is to the very page on which the text appears, so it's not needed: we're already on that page. This is likely a case of someone copying and pasting a block of text from another page. (As a software engineer, I do this sort of thing all the time... Oops).

Just trying to help.

PS - The contest looks wonderful. I hope to submit a few entries - and hope I haven't been rude or offensive - Oops again !

New Orleans, LA

Ken,

Thanks for the clarification! I've cleaned up the submission page. Let me know if you see anything else out of kilter or if anything is unclear. We're an all-volunteer group so you get what you pay for.

I do hope you will enter. We'd like to see as much work as possible being done with view cameras. And you were not rude at all; very helpful!

New Orleans, LA

We were having difficulties with our web page but everything should be fixed now. Here is the new link to the Four by Five Call for Artists:

http://www.neworleansphotoalliance.o...ntry.php?CFE=5

This will be juried by Steve Simmons, publisher of View Camera Magazine. He will choose four images each from five photographers and the work will be exhibited in our gallery in New Orleans during the months of April and May of this year. In addition, Steve will publish the five photographers in a future edition of View Camera magazine. This is a great opportunity for large format photographers.

The deadline is February 1 so get those entries in asap!

If anyone has any questions please feel free to email me: 51Deardorff@gmail.com.

Thom

Must it be sheet film or can I use a 4x5 with a 6x12 RFH?

New Orleans, LA

Great question. Our primary criteria is that the images were made with a view camera. So, yes, your 4x5 with a roll film back would qualify.

Thom