Thread: "Appropriate" lens for Kodak Masterview 8x10

"Appropriate" lens for Kodak Masterview 8x10

Hi, I'm trying to find out which were the "right" lenses having been used traditionally on a KMV 8x10. I have a couple of lenses (Nikkor, etc), but I would like to put an american lens on an american camera... :-)). Which one is the best moderate wide-angle ...in that idea?

cheers
    Torsten

Re: "Appropriate" lens for Kodak Masterview 8x10

The obvious choice is the Kodak 250mm f/6.3 Wide Field Ektar. Photographers from Ansel Adams to Joel Meyerowitz (and me) have used them. Keep it in the family!
    Second choice would be a 9-1/2" Goerz American Optical Dagor.
    There might be an appropriate Wollensak lens too, but I'm not sure which one.

Probably any Kodak Ektar covering 8x10 would be appropriate. The 10" (250mm) Wide Field Ektar has already been mentioned. There's the 12" Commercial Ektar, the 14" Commercial Ektar, etc. All popular 8x10 lenses of the period.
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Yep, the Kodak Ektars and Wide-Field Ektars would be fine, as well as the Ilex (brand) large-format lenses, all are in Ilex shutters. The Shutters need to be orientated on the lensboard, so that when mounted the cable-release faces down, as the Masterview has obstructions in the way for attaching a cable release out the side.

If you are going to "use" the camera, then you should pick the lens choices based on the best available for the style of photography you intend to do. The Kodak Masterview is a great "user" camera.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I agree with the Ektar suggestions if you want it absolutely appropriate; 10" Wide-Field and 14" would be a nice combination. If you want reasonably-appropriate and need a wider angle, the Ilex 215mm f/4.8 Acuton is an American lens that covers 8x10 with a little left for movements, or for wider still, a 159mm Wollensak Extra Wide Angle. Raptars would also be a reasonable choice.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

I keep a 12" Commercial Ektar on mine as the camera folds up with the lens on. Kodak even mentions that in the owner's manual for the camera. The 14" CE is too big to stay on the camera when folding it. It covers with reasonable movements.