Page 134 of 311 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144184234 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 3106

Thread: post your urban landscapes

Re: post your urban landscapes

"Wow that's an old camera; must be 100 years old!!!" (Using a Chamonix)
    "Nope maybe 5-6 years old, Kodak and Fuji still make film, yes I have a digital camera too now the light is good so go away."

(Okay I'm usually not that abrupt but that's what I'm thinking. It's no better with digital - shooting some portraits today and I had no less than 3 people in an hour come up and ask if I'd take their photo, while I'm shooting someone else. Highly annoying.)
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Years ago when I bought my first 4x5, a Toyo 45A, I was so excited that I set it up on a tripod in the front room just to look at it. When my girlfriend at the time (who is now my wife) saw it, she said, "Why did you buy such an old fashioned camera?" I got pissy because it was brand new, still all shiny and black. There was nothing old about it! She has since come around, of course, and these days doesn't mind the Century 10A on its Semi-Centennial stand cluttering up the living room.

Most people think bellows = old. I can see that. Not everyone is schooled in LF.

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    Years ago when I bought my first 4x5, a Toyo 45A, I was so excited that I set it up on a tripod in the front room just to look at it. When my girlfriend at the time (who is now my wife) saw it, she said, "Why did you buy such an old fashioned camera?" I got pissy because it was brand new, still all shiny and black. There was nothing old about it! She has since come around, of course, and these days doesn't mind the Century 10A on its Semi-Centennial stand cluttering up the living room.

Most people think bellows = old. I can see that. Not everyone is schooled in LF.

Jonathan
    ^^^ Very true here in my country.

Well, analogue LF IS old-fashioned, lets face it. But the stunning results it is capable of are still unsurpassed in my opinion. One of my favourite answers to comments about the age of my cameras is: "This 50 years old thing will still work fine when my digital will have been through the recycling bin several times."

And one last story, then I'll stop:
    Shooting my 1963 Rolleiflex on a mountain trail, someone comes up and asks "I this a Leica?" "No, it's a Rolleiflex." "This thing must be really old, does it still work?" "Yes, of course it works great!" "But only black & white, right?" "No, I'm shooting colour slides right now."

Amazing, how a technical and cultural development of almost 200 years gets forgotten so quickly.
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

http://peter-yeti.jimdo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Yeti View Post
    Jonathan, I could print this and put it on my wall!
    High praise, Peter, thanks. And just for some context, when I look at this image I am disappointed, and here's why:

I had it framed a bit differently at first go, with the cart in the foreground more centered and less of the hedge line (on the left) in the frame. But then a delivery truck pulled up along side me and was visible in the frame to the right, so I shifted the composition to eliminate the truck. The truck also blocked some of the light hitting the foreground, so that ended up being underexposed as a result. (The final scan has a lot more Photoshop dodging of the foreground than I usually do). I tried waiting for the truck to move, but I had other photos to take and the truck was going nowhere while another one parked at the dock was unloading.

So when I look at that photo all I see is that it isn't framed how I wanted it due to circumstance (although the lights at the horizon and the other blurry carts were a large part of what I was after) and the unfortunate foreground underexposure. This is a good lesson in the difference between the photographer's experience in taking a photo and the viewer's more removed perspective on that same image.

As for the bewilderment old analog camera seem to cause among the general public, I'm with you. I get identical comments when I use the Rolleiflex. It is iconic enough that people have seen them in old movies and such, but they generally have no idea what the camera is about. The term "medium format" is Greek to most people, anyway.

Jonathan

Houses, Takayama, 2012:

Houses by Sander Meisner, on Flickr

Parking, Kyoto, 2012:

Parking by Sander Meisner, on Flickr

Great Sander. The car in the first one is a very nice detail.

Tokyo Skytree
    Kodak TMY2, Super-Angulon 8/75mm, f/32

Jukka Vuokko
    Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by jvuokko View Post
    Tokyo Skytree
    Kodak TMY2, Super-Angulon 8/75mm, f/32

Terrific shot.

Thanks

Another one from Tokyo. Buildings of Kachidoki area exposed with ND 3.0 filter. 6 minutes exposure on 4x5 Kodak TMY2.
    I exposed another one with ND 4.0 and 30 minutes exposure, but haven't yet developed the negative.

Jukka Vuokko
    Flickr