Calumet C1
    4x5 Velvia 50
    24" Goerz Red Dot Artar @f/64
    2 seconds
    Thad Gerheim

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: post your urban landscapes

Getting back into doing film noir shots at night again:

The big bad city looks hip at night with its deep blacks and silver whites. The time on the clock is 7:45...PM...the time when the night trippers and hipsters start stirring...and 15 minutes before the Port locked the gate and left my ass out over the water all night.

Toyo-Field 45CF, Acros, 6x9 Toyo Roll Film Back. Scan of 8.5x11 Ilford MGIV RC glossy print.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    Zaitz,

Very cool! Looks like the set of a sci-fi movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
    Zaitz,

Great Shot!! Very vibrant .. Seems alive
    Thank you both!

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Damn Zaitz, you're doing some cool work. What are you doing with these shots, and do you have an overall project in mind?
    Thanks. Not really a project. Just something that is close. I haven't really come close to getting the shot I want. It will be tough, just posted this reply on my flickr page:

Last weekend I went a lot closer (this one is from across the Mississippi River), right up to their fence pretty much. Their security guy came by and said:

"Even though it isn't illegal to photograph the refinery, we do take down all information and pass it on to the FBI."

I sat there smiling as he was telling me. I am sure all the local St Paul terrorists are going to be setting up their 8x10 cameras on a Saturday morning trying to figure out how to blow the place up. It really didn't bother me at all. He said I did have to move across the street and if I packed up and left he wouldn't pass my info on. Moving across the street would ruin the photo so I just left.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad Gerheim View Post
    I like this!
    Thank you!
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

Were you on the property? I hope you didn't give him a damn thing. I would have told him politely to bugger off.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I guess technically I was, at least the way he worded it made it sound that way. I was outside their fence right next to the road. I figured someone would stop. Had I crossed to the other side like he 'suggested' then the road (and trucks) would have been in the shot. I should set my camera up some where else, focus on the hyperfocal distance - have the camera ready on the tripod in the back seat - roll in - jump out - frame and take the photo all in one minute .

edit: oh! And then send them a copy if it turns out .
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

There was a problem like this at the Shell refinery in Geelong where I used to live. The photographer was harassed by security and threatened with confiscation of his equipment and calling the police. He took it to the local paper and the local member of parliament. Shell ended up having to apologise because it wasn't against the law and he wasn't on their property even though he was on the grass verge beside their fence. Remember they only own what's inside their fence, but if everyone can see it, you can photograph it. Unless it's a defence base of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wynd View Post
    There was a problem like this at the Shell refinery in Geelong where I used to live. The photographer was harassed by security and threatened with confiscation of his equipment and calling the police. He took it to the local paper and the local member of parliament. Shell ended up having to apologise because it wasn't against the law and he wasn't on their property even though he was on the grass verge beside their fence. Remember they only own what's inside their fence, but if everyone can see it, you can photograph it. Unless it's a defence base of course.
    That's probably a good point. I am not sure exactly where their property ends. I don't want to cause a big thing either. If I do feel like going back and am for sure off the property I am sure I'll be more reluctant to leave. Problem is avoiding all the power lines and light poles! There are only so many places to setup.
    My website Flickr

Beautiful! nice work Cruiser...especially love the 1st one with the streak,

East Boston by Paul McEvoy, on Flickr