Thread: New Neck Design for HYBRID BLACKJACKET™ focusing cloths

New Neck Design for HYBRID BLACKJACKET™ focusing cloths

Just a quick note to announce a change in design for all HYBRID BLACKJACKET™ focusing cloths.

Two Cords are Better Than One!
    Early models of the BLACKJACKET™ featured a single, 1/8” shock cord threaded through the front edge of the neck to attach the focusing cloth to the camera.
    The adjustable cord could be secured and released with the spring-loaded toggle, permitting attachment and removal without disturbing the position of the camera.

A single adjustment point in the upper left corner provides even tension along all edges of the neck to ensure a better seal between the fabric and camera. With care, the neck could be made to grasp very narrow surfaces.

But… since the width of view camera cabinets varies considerably, from wooden cameras 2-1/2” to 3” thick, to metal studio cameras with rear standards barely half an inch wide, I have long considered ways to improve the interface. In the past, I have modified the neck design slightly, going from a single tension point on the bottom, to two (top and bottom) and then back to a single tension point in the upper left corner for the best seal.

After much consideration, I concluded that I could eek a bit more performance out of the neck with a redesign.

In short, the new style neck attaches to the camera by using both smaller diameter shock cord, and by using a pair of cords instead of one.

I’ve also reduced the number of layers of fabric in the neck from four to two, which dramatically improves the fabric’s ability to gather when the neck size shrinks. The difference in performance was so great that I now only stock a HYBRID 46” neck for all 4x5 and 5x7 cameras. The 56” neck of the new 8x10 Mark II also improved dramatically, working just as easily with 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 cameras, (even without the clips I formerly used to restrict the neck when used with the smaller formats).

Some customers have already received the new design and I've updated the website with some links and additional information. There are links to a detailed explanation on the specifications page (buy link).

Feedback so far has been very positive. I am very pleased with the new design, and hope you will be as well.

Re: New Neck Design for HYBRID BLACKJACKET™ focusing cloths

Thanks for the update

I have the "old style" for 8x10 and think it's great. It is kind of a beast to use with 4x5 so the new neck design might allow for a true one size fits all approach for 4x5 through 8x10.

I have the "old style" for 8x10 and think it's great. It is kind of a beast to use with 4x5 so the new neck design might allow for a true one size fits all approach for 4x5 through 8x10.
    True Jerold. The new design does much better than the previous generation. But, the 8x10 weighs twice as much as the 4x5/5x7 and is bulkier. It works if you have both formats and want to use a single cloth, but I think I'd still opt for the 4x5/5x7 if I had two separate kits.

In addition to improving the main product line, the development process has given me some additional ideas for some of the other products. Stay tuned.

Best wishes,

Keith

The Blackjacket is still my go-to darkcloth.

In the past I'd fight with my darkcloth in the gusty Texas wind when trying to compose and shoot, but with the Blackjacket it's never an issue.

Thanks for the kind words Jeremy.

Glad to hear you're still happy.

Since this is just a change to the neck, I kind of look at the tweek to the design like the old Volkswagen ad that had people looking for the changes in the new model year, but not seeing any obvious differences. Under the hood, though, there were a bunch of things that improved performance.

Missed you and the LF Texas clan last September while I was in Texas for the book run. If you haven't been by the new Sun To Moon location, you should check it out. They are now in the art district of Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith S. Walklet View Post
    Missed you and the LF Texas clan last September while I was in Texas for the book run. If you haven't been by the new Sun To Moon location, you should check it out. They are now in the art district of Dallas.
    Yep, life has gotten quite, quite busy lately. The new Sun to Moon looks great and is in a *much* better location, imo, for the type of business.