Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clement & Gilmer lens?

Clement & Gilmer lens?

Hi,

Iīm new here on LFP, but it seems to be the place to be when interested in this kinda stuff. I bought an old FKD 18x24 cm, which still havent arrived, and now Iīm looking for a lens.

Thought Iīd listen if anyone can help me out with this one:
    The text on the lens says:
    CLEMENT & GILMER PARIS, 18X24, RAPIDE SYMETRIQUE
    The diameter of the front glass is 4 cm (1,6") and the total length of the lens is 7 cm (2,75").
    Have googled, but havenīt seen anything about it. Thought that the 18x24 text would maybe indicate for which format the lens is for, but it seems a bit small when looking at the measurements. Or doesnīt it?

Hereīs a picture:

Re: Clement & Gilmer lens?

18x24cm IS the recommended size from C & G. As this is probably an F.8 RR, the lens measurement seems to be right. Focal length will be around 12-13".

You can relax! I have just measured the lens in a 9x7" "Optimus" RR ( 23cm x 18cm ) and it is the same as yours - 4cm. Focal length is 14".

Hey Steven!

Thanks for the incredibly quick reply!
    Much obliged.

Well - the auction (not e**y) where this C & G RR is listed has under a day left. I think the bid amount is probably above what it is worth. C & G is a valued name, but not really in connection with run-of-the-mill Rapid Rectilinears! Asking advice about active auctions is, by the way, a risky business!

Hello I found this thread and was wondering about this type lens I have one that I will be selling and i jut want to know a little about it .

I think its great when people use the search facility. This objective is one of the unanswered problems of French lens history. All of these Laverne / Laverne + Clement & Gilmer seem to have similar high serial numbers (ca. 95,000 - 110,000). The summary of lenses' history in Vade Mecum has a lot of theories. They mention a C&G (without the Laverne) which has a serial number of 102,66X which is very close to your 102,561 (as I read it?).

So this thread is alive again!
    I can't find earlier discussions about a mystery trademark showing the sun with sun rays on otherwise anonymous brass lenses (photographic and magic lantern). I don't think that the question was solved at the time.
    Anyway I have a late (1903) Guerry shutter with the selling agents Clement et Gilmer. The initials are both sides of the sometimes seen sun/sunrays trademark. This supports the theory that C & G were basically export agents for french manufacturers.
    I note that the smart replacement bulb label is in French and English. Another Guerry I have (without the C & G mark) has the label only in the french version.

Sorry about the head twisting - my PC is not what it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    So this thread is alive again!
    I can't find earlier discussions about a mystery trademark showing the sun with sun rays on otherwise anonymous brass lenses (photographic and magic lantern). I don't think that the question was solved at the time....
    Except this lens that I owned: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=59035

On Clement and Gilmer serial numbers, they bought the old Gasc & Charconnet company, that also has very high serial numbers. Probably just continued the run. Why did G&C have high numbers even on their very early (1860s) lenses? Who knows, perhaps they just started at 5,000 or whatever, to make their manufacturing look well established.