Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the heck??????????

What the heck??????????

I recently installed Photoshop CS3 and it installed fine. I was making test 4x6 proofs and when I went to make a 16x20 the 16x20 was different than the 4x6 proof. I can understand a litle difference but this was way to different. Any reasons why????? Keep it simple. I used Ilford Gold Fibre for the 16x20 and Epson glossy for the proofs.I used to have photoshop version 5 and had no problems.

Re: What the heck??????????

Head clog?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Maybe you used the wrong paper profile?

Quote Originally Posted by ignatiusjk View Post
    I recently installed Photoshop CS3 and it installed fine. I was making test 4x6 proofs and when I went to make a 16x20 the 16x20 was different than the 4x6 proof. I can understand a litle difference but this was way to different. Any reasons why????? Keep it simple. I used Ilford Gold Fibre for the 16x20 and Epson glossy for the proofs.I used to have photoshop version 5 and had no problems.
    As you enlarge an area that is black, from that small to larger, it's going to get the extra detail that was originally compressed. Further, larger images need more contrast to hold them together. It's just the way it is, I'm afraid..

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Lenny Im guessing the 4x6 proofs would have been portions of the 16x20 at the same magnification as the final print.

No, I made the 4x6 proofs as 4x6 size not a portion of a 16x20. I also never got this problem with the older photoshop version 5.For some reason it started with the photoshop CS3.

In my experience Ilford Gold Fibre and Epson GLossy are very different. You can even see the difference soft-proofing in PS. It would be helpful to know what is different? Color balance, saturation, contrast?
    Are you sure you are using the right profile and paper selection in the printer driver?

Fair enough, the effects that Lenny describes maybe valid then, I have no ideas as to the recent change tho.

Jim Ewins

Try scaling up with the same paper, 4x6, 8x10, 11x 14 etc see what happens. experiment

Quote Originally Posted by ignatiusjk View Post
    No, I made the 4x6 proofs as 4x6 size not a portion of a 16x20. I also never got this problem with the older photoshop version 5.For some reason it started with the photoshop CS3.
    I would guess that your eyes are getting better with more practice. If in fact, it is different, it is likely the way the profile is being applied, or not... CS3 is very good. It's what I use - I dropped back from CS4.

You could also have a paper issue, the larger size being a different paper.. if it isn't from the same box. I do all my tests on 17" wide paper - usually a 10-12" print, so I can see things clearly. If I am making a 40" print, I'll make a 20 inch one just to see what happens when things go up in size...

It costs a lot in paper. And time. It hurts, but that's why folks send their work here.. instead of going to Costco.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing