Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CLS301 head wiring diagram needed

CLS301 head wiring diagram needed

I save a 138S and its CLS301 head and power supply from the dump but unfortunately they cut the wire near the head and don't have the special plug that goes in the power supply. A friend (electrician) is a bit perplex to try to made a direct connection as we have 4 colored wires into the main wire and the plug have 12 pins! Anyone have a wiring diagram for the CLS301 head.

Re: CLS301 head wiring diagram needed

I have a good collection of Durst CLS wiring diagrams, but not that one. I can say that frequently they have divided the current to the bulb between two or three pins on the connector. Durst.it seems willing to e-mail schematics if you verify that you are not going to electrocute yourself and sue them.

Blair Ware recently got a CLS301, he may be able to give you some wire color/pin-location info from his head.

I don't have the head wiring but I do have the diagramms for the TRA301 power supply that supplies the head if that is any use?

Cheers Dave

Drew Wiley

When I had one of these I simply stripped all the wiring and put in high-temp truck
    wire, 220 bulbs, and bypassed the power supply altogether. It worked a lot better.
    Of course, I first tested my 220 line to make sure the voltage fluctuations were very
    minor. I also removed the asbestos heat pads behind the reflectors and put in substitute mineral board. The biggest headache is the reflectors themselves, which need to be periodically recoated (expensive!). With a bit more work there is a way to install ordinary halogens with their own reflectors.

I pulled off the outer covering of the connector and was able to see how the four wires connect to the 12 pins. Have a look at the attached "schematic". For orientation, you are holding the connector as if it were about to be inserted into the TRA301, and are looking at it from the front of the power supply.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Blair

Blair is the first I PM.
    Thanks for looking directly at your head. Color wires are idem so the electrician should be able to fix it.
    Thanks all for the feedback.

Can i ask something about Asbestos heat protection on CL301 ? How do you know if is made with asbestos?

Drew Wiley

Asbestos was routine behind reflectors in high-output colorheads for a long time, beacause they had no alternative, and back
    then people weren't aware of its dangers. Asbestos has a relatively long fiber. Modern heat-resistant materials are either
    ceramic-based or made of fine mineral dust and cement composition. Don't clean out anything related to asbestos with an
    ordinary household vacuum. You need either true HEPA or just sponge everything out well and carefully bag it in plastic.
    Hopefully any asbestos-containing pads will be intact and not decomposing. But if you rebuild the colorhead you still need to
    be aware of potential fire hazards. You need good cooling both within and adjacent to the colorhead housing. And running a
    colorhead too hot will either ruin the filters of cause them to shift per spectral quality.

Thanks Drew , i'm still searching for any additional information ... and solution for 138 laborator! Probably only the colour head with the alogen lamps need asbestos as heat protection. On the classic BW condenser head i didn't find any information on asbestos problem like in any "little" condenser durst .