Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: scanning 8x10 chromes, V700 or Cezanne?

scanning 8x10 chromes, V700 or Cezanne?

I know I know, no comparison, but:

Should I spring for a new v700 with the cash I have, or save my pennies for a used, cheapish Cezanne? And if I should wait around for the a Cezanne, whats a fair price I should end up paying for one with the accessories, software?

I want to scan 810 chromes, so I guess the question is, does 'buy what you can afford now' apply here, or is the v700 going to be too frustrating to be worth it?

Or, alternatively, anybody need a kidney: trade straight up for an iqsmart3?

Thanks!

Octogenarian

Re: scanning 8x10 chromes, V700 or Cezanne?

I scan 8X10 B&W negatives on an Epson 4990, at 1200dpi, by taping them, emulsion side down, directly to the glass, editing in Photoshop, and printing on an HP B9180 printer up to 12"x18".

If I want larger prints, I wet mount and scan the 8x10 negatives on my friends Screen Cezanne and make 16"x20" prints on his wide frame Epson printer.

I suggest purchasing a new Epson V750 and running it on Vue Scan.

The Cezanne is a great flat bed scanner, but it appears to be overkill for 16"x20" prints from an 8X10 negative. Of course, if you plan on making much larger prints, look for a Cezanne.

Previously owned Cezannes, in good condition, are pricey, scarce, and heavy weight. Shipping can be very expensive.
    Last edited by Gem Singer; 12-Dec-2009 at 19:46.

I thought there was some difficulty wet mounting 8x10" film on the v700 series, the wet mounting station isn't big enough to fit it, I know that much:

The wet mount tray for the V700/V750 is for 5x7 or smaller.

I scan my 8x10 on a V750 with the emulsion facing up and a plate of anti-newton ring glass over top. Works fine since I do not have the money for a Cezanne.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Octogenarian

You're correct Pfeiffer, an 8X10 negative or tranny cannot be wet mounted on the V700 series Epson scanners.

However, the procedure that Walter outlined will allow you to scan your 8X10 trannys directly on the V750's glass.

Including shipping, my friend paid slightly over $2,000 for his previously owned Screen Cezanne. I helped select and test it. We purchased it from a commercial graphic art company that had changed over to digital capture.

The company rep. stated that they bought it new and the original price was over $30,000.

Cezanne

joseph

I followed a few suggestions here, (V750)
    and I tape the 8x10 to the underside of a piece of picture framing glass,
    and suspend that on coins placed at each corner.

You will have to test to find the right focus height to suspend it-

According to those who actually know, it's possible to get more out of the shadows of a chrome with anything but the Epson, but I find it ok with negs...

I'd use an Epson for everything and, after proofing, you can always have your best work scanned with a friend's or service provider's higher end scanner.

At portfolio sizes, the Epson does fine. Even for the occasional large print, so long as you don't do a side by side comparison then the 8x10 film will still make it look better than anything other than a high-end scan.

I wouldn't want to tie up a lot of money into a high-end scanner that is no longer manufactured -- it would soon evolve to the point where I had to dedicate an older computer to run the software and buy a second scanner for parts and back-up, etc.

To make a 16x20 print (at 300 dpi) from an 8x10 original, you only need to scan at 600 ppi.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I'd use an Epson for everything and, after proofing, you can always have your best work scanned with a friend's or service provider's higher end scanner.

At portfolio sizes, the Epson does fine. Even for the occasional large print, so long as you don't do a side by side comparison then the 8x10 film will still make it look better than anything other than a high-end scan.

I wouldn't want to tie up a lot of money into a high-end scanner that is no longer manufactured -- it would soon evolve to the point where I had to dedicate an older computer to run the software and buy a second scanner for parts and back-up, etc.
    I don't know Frank, The used Cezannes are selling for a nickle on a dollar now days. An old Mac is easy to acquire on the cheap. They (Screen) are still in business and one can buy modern up to date software if one wants to spend a grand. The old software is very capable. Mine has required "0" maintenance.

For the price of 2 V750's one can have a very capable setup and scan once and archive forever.

For the cost of a couple of drum scans, one can own a great scanner. My log shows well over 100 high resolution scans in 2009, some for myself, some for friends and associates. What would that cost at a service bureau?

bob