Thread: Computer recommendations please?

Computer recommendations please?

Having posted a question about the amount of memory needed for 300MB to 800MB sizes scans, I realise that my computer is restricted to 3GB RAM usage with my current 32 bit operating system.
    So planning ahead, could anyone advise me of the options please?
    I have a Dell Optiplex 745, bought towards the end of 2007.
    It has an Intel 2 CPU @ 2.13GHZ, a single 148GB hard drive, and Windows XP Professional, 2002 version, SP3. That's all I know (I'm not technical!).
    I use an Eizo FlexScan S2111W screen (two or three years old, and we are happy with this). My wife uses a Wacom Intuos tablet with this computer - the tablet is great.
    This computer is based at home, and is not on a network. The only programs that we run on it are Office (Word and Excel), Photoshop and Bridge CS4, Corel Painter 11, Nikon Transfer, and a few bits and pieces, and internet access. Anti virus is Avast. There is zero gaming use, and occasional DVD watching.
    Use over the next couple of years will be similar I think. I may be tempted to try an 8x10 (!), so there could be bigger scans, but not sure at this stage.
    Do I stick with the Optiplex 745, and change the operating system (to what – Windows 7?), and maybe add some additional parts?
    Or should I really be budgeting for a new system (which would likely be in March next year), and if so what?
    The budget is not massive! I’m in the UK and if necessary could go to £750. Any more than this and I'm edging out of my comfort zone.
    Tweaking the existing machine would be preferable, unless it's clear that a new machine is by far the best option.
    Any advice on the way to go? Thanks.

Re: Computer recommendations please?

To get more than 3 gb, you need to go to a 64 bit operating system, probably Vista 64 or Windows 7 64. I don't know about your motherboard, and how expandable it is. How much memory can it hold?

Personally, I would build my own system, keeping the old one for web/word processing type uses. I like knowing exactly what goes into the system. You could get an inexpensive monitor for the older computer and use the Eizo on the Photoshop computer.

I built my own a couple of months ago for $1500, but you could shave quite a bit off of that price, at least here in the USA. I expect that prices on your side of the pond might be a little higher.

If I were you, I'd go to the forums on Tom's Hardware. Explain what you want and ask for a suggested build. You could then post that info here asking for more advice.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

There are a lot of very cheap Quad processor systems out there with 6GB of RAM and two hard drives. I don't now where you are located, but here in the US you can easily get a decent PC for $500 that will outperform your existing system by quite a margin.
    Juergen

Elsewhere the OP said that they have 4GB RAM, but only 3GB RAM is useable because of 32-bit Windows XP. So they'd have to upgrade to a 64-bit OS to use the full 4GB.

Just wondering, but would there be any advantage if the OP used Linux for their image processing? For example:
    • FREE: Install 64-bit Ubuntu Linux as dual-boot so that Windows & Linux will co-exist, and so that 4GB of RAM can be addressed when running Linux.
    • US$39.95: Buy VueScan to use with their scanner in Linux.
    • FREE: Use GIMP (in Linux) for image editing
    • Cheap: Buy another hard drive (internal or external) for image storage. This drive can be moved to another computer in the future.

The OP said they were "non-technical", but I bet they could get Linux installed with no problem at all. I just don't know if their processor has enough "ummmpphhh...", along with 4GB RAM, for image processing.

I don't know a lot about imaging software, but I understand that GIMP does not (yet?) have adjustment layers, which may be the main problem in this example? I don't know if there is a way to work-around this.

In any case, the above would be a cheap way to move to a 64-bit OS to see if their current computer would do the job. If not, then look at buying a new system.

Well, the above is what I would try, except I am still doing darkroom work....

I bought a new PC earlier this year. I just got it from HP because it cost less than Dell at the time. You will get a quad core processor with Windows 7 64 bit and at least 8 if not 12 gigs or RAM and the hard drive will be at least one terabyte. All of that should cost about your price range.

I always thought that building a system yourself isn't worth it. They say that it costs just a little bit more to do it yourself. Look into the differences between Dell, HP, Compaq and the others. Dell does give you a Windows disc which the others don't but the HP recovery software is fine also.

Stores like Walmart and Costco sell these sorts of things at a really good price. There is nothing wrong with shopping at places like that for your computer stuff. Also I agree that you should keep your current computer as an backup. I have a backup PC and it does make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Also look into keeping a "shadow" or "mirror" drive which is a second drive that is an exact duplicate of your system drive. This too will make you feel warm and fuzzy.

Good luck.

Get Vuescan, it runs fine in XP. It does virtual memory and will solve the scanning problems. For Photoshop, you need a swap drive at least, and 149 gigs is not going to hold many images. Get a eSATA card with two ports and add at least one large external drive, maybe two. Two is best because you can put your PS swap file on one, the images on one, and your XP swap fine on the original boot disk. This will make best use of the existing hardware, and when you get a new machine, you can just move the card and drives to it.

Get a 64bit OS and load up with as much RAM as your MB can handle. Mine has 8GB and can keep all processing in RAM for a 850MB image with NO HD CACHING. BTW, Adobe CS5 is claimed to better handle multithreading and RAM usage... once it's available. With 6GB+ of RAM you're in the Terrabyte range regarding image size to keep processing completely in RAM.

Unless you are going to prepare files to print wall sized murals, you don't have to scan your large format (8x10) negatives at maximum resolution. A 600 ppi scan of a 8x10 negative (or transparency) will yield a 300 dpi 16x20 print.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Plan of action is:
    See what maximum amount of ram is that I can fit on this machine, and if 4GB is the maximum I won't spend any more money on it.
    If I can boost it up to 8GB I will do so, and change the operating system to Windows 7 64 bit.
    I'll also get Vuescan when I get the scanner.
    I'll go down the external drives route.
    BUT if I can't increase the ram beyond 4GB I'll have to look at a new machine.
    One final question - looking at Windows 7 upgrades, there are Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate
    As far as I can see the Home Premium version does everything I need, so no point is spending money on the other versions. Do you agree?