Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carrying a Large Format Camera?

Carrying a Large Format Camera?

As an extension to a question I asked previously regarding how you use LF camera s in the field:

I want to mount my 5x7 view on my tripod, fit the legs with foam padding, and ca rry the camera and tripod balanced at the fulcrum point on my shoulder while I m ove from place to place. I may close the camera bed while doing this.

I'm trying to avoid the tedious delays in breaking down and setting up the camer a every time I want to use it.

Other than the possibility of the camera falling off the tripod (which I will tr y to double secure), does anyone see any serious problems in using this method.

I did this with a heavy MF camera (RB67) and there is almost no weight at all wh en balanced correctly.

Anyone use this method?

"Other than the possibility of the camera falling off the tripod (which I will try to double secure), does anyone see any serious problems in using this method?"

Catching low-hanging tree branches, lessening the chances of breaking the camera's fall should you slip, and having all of the weight on one side of your body.

I've hiked I-don't-know-how-many miles over the past few years carrying my camera (inverted, by the monorail) in my left hand and my tripod in my right. The lens is mounted on the camera and it's roughly prefocused; a quick mating of tripod and camera and I'm ready to compose, focus, load, and shoot.

I know I'm in the minority, but I've never backpacked with the camera folded up and stored in my backpack. For me, LF already discourages stopping and setting up (compared, say, to 35mm), and I suppose I'm afraid I'd be even less likely than I already am to stop and set up the camera and tripod if either one was on my back rather than in my hands. To each his own....

<><><

Todd...That system seems to work well over short distances when no overhanging limbs are involved. But, be certain that your lens and GG back have a secure system to prevent them from falling off, and I do mean DOUBLE SECURE! I learned the hard way how expensive that can be.

Todd, Try this . . . Go the Home Depot. Buy 1 length of copper pipe foam insulating. It looks like a 6' nerf stick. Collapse tripod to it's smallest size. Cover the 3 legs with cut to length strips of insluation. It's extremely easy and exceedingly cheap. Throw the pod over your shoulder. The padding makes the weight much easier to carry over distance.

I use it all the time with my 8 X 10 outfit and have no trouble, but then I'm not banging around out in the wilds of Alaska or wherever either.

I carry the mostly empty camera case in my left hand, the camera and tripod balanced on my right shoulder, and a bag of film holders suspended from my left shoulder onto my right hip. I wear a carpenters apron around my waste with all the little doo-dads you always seem to need in it. Total weight of the outfit is something like 50 lbs. I'm 5'6" and 165 lbs and have never been one to spend time exercising that could better be spent consuming beer.

I appreciate all of the truly helpful suggestions...not one person has uttered anything close to a put-down on this forum in response to my somewhat dumb and basic questions! Thank you.

I'm going to use the pipe insulation idea for the tripod legs, and I think I will just carry the camera in my left hand, since it has a handle (field camera), and the tripod over my right shoulder, with the film holders and extras in a small bag and vest...the carpenter's apron is a great idea! I did learn to keep my film holders in Zip- lock bags to reduce dust from very sad experiences when I did 4x5 many years ago. The 5x7 is a bit bigger than the 4x5 I used. any other ideas most appreciated.

What do you do with people who come up and ask ten thousand irrelevant questions...usually, "Why are you using that old camera?" or "Is that an antique?" That really bothered me when I did 4x5. I usually like to photograph alone or with other photographers doing the same thing...security in numbers!

Thanks for your patience and good ideas...I'm really new at this.

I'm going out tommorrow with the "Beast," so wish me luck!

The main problem is to stop the heavy camera from slowly twisting the tripod head while you are walking and grunting away. The tripod heads are made for satioary use adn the up and down stress of the camera's waight will cause them to move. I found this was the hardest problem to lick. You amy need a homemade bracket to stabilise the head while walking that can be removed to set up or just a stronger head ( for the tripod) or maybe you tripod head wil take the stress of the over the shoulder treatment. Good luck!!!

Ed...that is exactly the problem I noticed, especially with the weight and size of the 5x7 when fully extended...the camera would turn on the tripod head. Folding the camera, but keeping it on the tripod, seems to eliminate that problem, but I would be very upset if the camera fell off, so carrying it in my hand by its strap from place to place may be the safest solution, still avoiding having to repack everything in a backpack.

"What do you do with people who come up and ask ten thousand irrelevant questions...usually, "Why are you using that old camera?" or "Is that an antique?""

Unless really rushed by changing light or other conditions, I patiently answer all their questions. In addition to having a pedagogical nature, I figure it couldn't hurt to make the goodness of LF more widely known. We need all the interested folks we can cultivate out there!

"I figure it couldn't hurt to make the goodness of LF more widely known."

Sal...I really like that answer...promote Large Format...Yes!