Thread: column height of Omega D2V?

column height of Omega D2V?

Hope someone out there has one of these and can answer this:

How tall is the column on a standard (not the extra large model) on an Omega D2V enlarger? And would the whole thing dismantle for transport?

Sounds silly, but my son got one from Ebay and now worried if it will fit in his car as it is a collect only!

Thanks

Steve

Re: column height of Omega D2V?

The column is attached to the baseboard with a few large bolts. I would pack a towel or something into the head below the large condensors, and above the variable one, to keep it from moving. The column is about four feet in length (mine is packed away, so I don't know for sure). I have moved it about three times this way without any problems. One thing to look out for, is that the wheels that guide the head on the column may not be in place when you get where you are going. It is a simple matter to pop them back onto the rails.

Jon

The column is 46-inches long. Get a couple of card board boxes and bring some newspaper so you can pack some items separately.

Take the lamphouse off of the column, it comes off by loosening four thumb screws. Pack that separately.

Tape the variable condenser door shut or remove the variable condenser so that you don't accidently drop it out of the lamphouse. I'd remove it and pack it separately.

Take the column off of the base board. It is held to the base board by three bolts with a 7/16-inch head. The bolts clamp three pieces of metal to the circular base of the enlarger column. You should just have to loosen the bolts and pivot the metal clamp pieces 180 degrees. That should allow you to jockey the column out from under them.

At that point you should be able to fit everything into the back seat of a car.

I have easily packed mine fully assembled across the back seat of a small station wagon (Pontiac 6000) but more easily in my old full sized Blazer. The toughest thing was getting it in alone, so a second person on the other side is helpful as this is awkward.

Be sure to lower the condenser head assembly close to the baseboard and tighten in in place.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

There may be some plastic gears sticking out in the back. Be sure they don't get knocked, or they may get cracked.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com