Thread: Budget Printer Recommendation

Budget Printer Recommendation

Hi All,

I am on a very limited budget right now, but I have some money to purchase photographic equipment (think $250 range, perhaps as high as $400). I am considering investing this in the Epson 1400 printer and I am trying to figure out if this printer (or another model from HP or Canon) is worthwhile. I have a few specific questions that I was hoping you could help answer:

I will use the printer for color, B&W, and alternative processes, then dedicate it for B&W use when I obtain another printer. Will alternating ink sets (Epson, the Piezo K7 and the UT14 variable tone) over time pose any problems?

In a recent thread, the Epson 1400 was not recommended for UV-intensive alternative processes due to limited UV blocking. Is this printer capable of making digital negatives for alternative processes that are less UV-intensive (specifically, AZO/Lodima contact printing and Bromoil)?

This printer will be used to build a portfolio to submit for professional critiquing. Are dye-based prints acceptable for this?

Finally, would any of you sell a dye-based inkjet print (Wilhem Imaging’s preliminary testing on the 1400 is about 98 years under glass)? Or is pigment absolutely necessary?

Any/all comments are welcome and appreciated. Thank you!

Re: Budget Printer Recommendation

I'm assuming your talking about my recent thread?
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=56614

There are good answers there so double check it. I myself am probably going with the 1400, because of QTR compatibility. I don't have a printer, so if it doesn't work out for d negatives, oh well, I'll still have it and I won't have wasted a fortune or needed to reinforce my floor.

Based on what I learned in this thread and on my own, what you (and I both) want at this price point doesn't exist, at least without accepting considerable risk concerning UV blockage of cheaper inks. If you haven't already, go to the BH website and click on "digital photography" then "printers" etc... you can select your price range and scroll through the options.

-Alex