Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix?

Re: Chamonix?

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Goldman View Post
    Yeah, the front screw is a slight inconvenience, but other than that, I find it to be an amaziingly sweet camera. It is light, rigid, easy to set up and take down, etc. .
    Dick Phillips tells of designing this feature in his sleep one night because he liked the rigidity of his 8x10 Deardorff, but not the 13 pounds of weight. The 8 pound reversible back result and later 6 pound horizontal Explorer were both ridged and the fore runner of a common design today.

John

finally some rational discussion here.
    My 045N1 was from the first batch, I had great 2 1/2 yrs with this camera, and still love it. It is not a perfect one, but it fits my need. I am spoiled by this camera, I used to think 4~5 lbs camera are light, 6 lbs are acceptable, now I won't put these cameras in my backpack anymore. I have sold my arca discovery and never look back.

It seems to me that the OP asked an honest question: it appeared to him that at first people really loved the camera however there seems to be many used ones on the market and is the reason due to the camera itself. What is wrong with wanting to know?

I would expect more Shen Haos to be on the used market simply as they have been arround longer. I bought mine used prior to even hearing about Chanonix for example. I would guess that the turn over of a Chamonix would be higher than an Ebony as the latter is more expensive and less likely to be a first LF purchase and we do know that LF is not for everyone hence those who buy one and decide it is not for them are likely to see the camera system.

I found it interesting and informative to find out the negatives about the Chamonix as well as the positives. I am happy with my Shen Hao and currently have no plans on replacing it however if I did I would now have things to consider if I was thinking of a Chamonix or its Shen Hao clonish model. I now that some people in the past have been agaisnt all the Chinese cameras but I do not read the OP or those who responded with some negative experiences as being of that bend.

If people are selling them due to a part of the design that does not work for them, does not mean that they are anti the company or evil people either. Clement: it may have been the best LF purchase that YOU have made but is the reason for selling because they were bought by people who no longer want a LF or are being sold by someone who thinks another brand or model would work better for THEM?

Quote Originally Posted by Clement Apffel View Post
    Frank, to me, the 45N-1 bashing, flaming and hammering made FAR more noise and ad than the threads created about praising it.
    Oddly enough I can’t remember much about the later kind of thread. But maybe I haven't been on board long enough to see those so numerous hymn of praise about the 45N-1
    Clement, you'll probably see such a thread pretty soon, as I've just ordered a 45n-1 from Hugo.
    If I find it as magnificent as people use to say it is, I'll tell everybody about it.

I had one from the first batch and sold it after only few field trips. Why?

I found it to be a big dust attractor. The synthetic bellows, the carbon plate and the thick lacquering of the wooden parts, all of them was always covered with dust.

Second, I found that the finish of the wooden parts is very soft and is damaged easily.

Third, the hinges of the rear standard was not, IMHO, strong enough to prevent the back twist when rear movements where applied on full extension.

Forth, the focusing mechanism was plastic and I'm positive that it will play after only year or two of extensive use.

In simple words, like my grandfather used to say, I'm not so rich to buy cheap stuff.

Sorry to say that, but I was disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by redrockcoulee View Post
    Clement: it may have been the best LF purchase that YOU have made but is the reason for selling because they were bought by people who no longer want a LF or are being sold by someone who thinks another brand or model would work better for THEM?
    I understand that of course. I never claimed it was the perfect camera for everyone.
    But I'm just feeling weary of all those threads filled with exaggerated and untrue facts about this camera.
    This time it was:
    “The used market is flooded with 45n1s!!! So there IS something wrong with this camera after all!!!”
    Get your facts straight.

And I am sorry but if Ebony, Canham or Richard Ritter was releasing a new 4x5” camera, you would have as much as praising thread about them. None would be whining about the free ad or the hype.
    And I would be very excited to read those threads as numerous as they would be. Wouldn’t you?
    Because that is our common passion: LF photography, LF equipment!
    So what’s so wrong with the so called “hype”?
    What’s so wrong with users telling how happy they are with their new toy?
    I say nothing!
    Let it be.

You don’t like the camera the thread is about for some unknown reason? Just pass by, keep the venom.
    We red so many disdainful comments about the Chamonix discussions. I’m just tired about those.

Just let the users share their opinions.
    Now, if a user has REAL issues with the camera because he is REALLY owning one, their comments are helpful. Because it is about how the camera IS.
    And it can help someone looking for info to make their own mind about it.
    That’s what a forum is about!
    But those comments about the camera being Chinese, being overrated, over mentioned in the forum or any whining comments we red about all this are just plain useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Soare View Post
    If I find it as magnificent as people use to say it is, I'll tell everybody about it.
    Yes, as you would with any other camera you might buy, wouldn’t you?
    Grats for your purchase!

I’ll be glad to read about your opinion about it.

Michael Alpert

But I'm just feeling weary of all those threads filled with exaggerated and untrue facts about this camera.
    This time it was:
    “The used market is flooded with 45n1s!!! So there IS something wrong with this camera after all!!!”
    Get your facts straight.
    Clement,

No, you are exaggerating. The originating post was a reasonable question concerning what people think about this camera. Most people have been very careful to state specifically what they like or do not like.

For a short while, I had a 5x7 horizontal Chamonix camera that did not have enough vertical movement for my purposes (the bellows interfered with rise when photographing architecture with a wide-angle or normal lens. I did not expect this problem, and it would not be a problem in most landscape photography) and I did not like the bubble levels, which I thought were poorly integrated with the camera. Otherwise, the camera was very workable and quite beautiful. Although it was very light, it wasn't what I needed. Hugo was very gracious about allowing me to return the camera.

What is inordinate lately is this kind of threads about it: created by doubtful, misinformed, and full of prejudice people. I don’t know what they expect about those threads?
    Users massively confessing “yeah this camera hasn’t a single good point, it’s total crap, I got totally scammed by those evil Chinese, I wish I could have bought instead a canham or an ebony by selling one of my kidney” so one could be reassured of having a $3K 4x5” ?
    Well sorry, this camera is the best purchase I ever made regarding LF.
    I won’t detail AGAIN why.
    No offence meant.

Frank, to me, the 45N-1 bashing, flaming and hammering made FAR more noise and ad than the threads created about praising it.
    Oddly enough I can’t remember much about the later kind of thread. But maybe I haven't been on board long enough to see those so numerous hymn of praise about the 45N-1.
    But maybe it’s just a matter of seeing things, isn’t it?
    Well, from the hysteria that was created over this camera, I expected NEVER to see a used one and I am genuinely curious about the reasons for selling them. I have around 30 modern view cameras and a number of vintage cameras and actually use most. I was contemplating a purchase without ever having seen one so I could examine it before buying an 11x14. Now why wouldn't you tell me what you like about it if it's the best camera you have ever had? The best camera I have ever had is my Arca 141 F Metric which is with me 24/7/365...Evan Clarke

Interesting thread and for what its worth - my view of it.

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    Hi All,
    To those of you who have sold theirs, is there something you didn't like??..Evan Clarke
    This was the question asked - why the defensive attitude from some those who own and have decided to keep theirs? As a one time owner (and user) who then sold it - I offered my reasons for not keeping it.

I think some of the "information" or "misinformation" is based on a lack of a dealer network. Leaving you to the internet forums instead of a chance to see it and touch it before purchasing. I know I bought mine without actually touching one first. I think if I had inspected it in person, I would have decided to not buy one.

I would like my camera to not be the focus of my attention, just an easy to use tool that helps me capture an image. My choice is mine to make, and I certainly would expect others to have different needs and thus make different choices.

I think just as with the Shen Hao when it appeared, there was great expectations for these entry level price point cameras. While I am quite happy with my Shen Hao, I can see things I would prefer on a more expensive camera. Also, I do think the volume of sales has more to do with the low price relative to other cameras. I don't know if I would replace the Shen Hao with an Ebony, which was the often compared higher priced alternative. I do think if I got an Arca Swiss that I might not use the Shen Hao that often, but I would likely stop short of selling it.

Definitely it seemed that a casual glance of threads there was a great amount of hype to the Chamonix cameras, but the older Shen Hao posts went along similar directions. Then there was the newness of it all, but again like other gear. So I don't think the sales are surprising, nor do I see them as a let down on the implied quality. Besides, the lenses are vastly more important to the results than the box upon which we hang them.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography