Thread: Epson 3800 matt paper feed problems (rear slot)

lazy retired bum

Epson 3800 matt paper feed problems (rear slot)

Hi all,

I have used and loved my Epson 3800 for over almost three years, I got it in 1/07. When I use glossy paper, mostly Harman FB, and load it into the regular auto sheet feeder, I have no problems. When I use matt papers which require the rear slot for loading, there is often a problem. Either the printer does not grab the paper and nothing happens, or it thinks there's paper and wastes a bunch of ink and the paper's still in the slot. I just made two prints, one on Moab Entrada Natural 190 and had no problem. When I tried the Entrada Bright White 300, considerably heavier and more to my taste, it took me three tries and it worked only when I removed the holder, leaned over the printer, and fed it in the "bare" rear slot.

Has anyone else had these problems, or am I alone, and if so, has anyone figured out a solution short of using the front feed, which for me is a pain when I use larger, eg 13x19 paper, and indeed the front feed won't take anything over 16" so on the rare occasion I make a 16x20 print on 17x22, or 17x25 paper, I need on of the rear feed slots.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Eric

Re: Epson 3800 matt paper feed problems (rear slot)

I use Entrada Natural 300 fed from the rear feed of my 3800 and haven't encountered any problems. I use 17x22" and 17x35" sheets and as long as I carefully do the initial feed, there are no problems. I have my printer backed up against a wall, so the paper is positioned vertically, with the downward pressure pushing into the slot as opposed to flopped over the back of the printer, pullling away from the slot. That could be your issue.

lazy retired bum

As I was reading through the manual for the printer, something I did when I got it but not in a while, I noticed that only Epson Watercolor, Velvet Fine Art, and Ultrasmooth fine art (or their equivalents from other manufacturers) REQUIRE the rear feed slot. I realize that thicker paper might pose a problem in the sheet feeder, but the Entrada Rag I use, the Bright White and the Natural, ask for the Enhanced Matte setting on their web page. I just printed an 8x10 sheet of Entrada Bright White 300, their heavyweight stuff, using the sheet feeder, and it seems ok. I had not thought of this before but it may have solved my problem at least for the Moab paper. I also love Hahnemuhle Bamboo, but it requires the Velvet Fine Art setting, only via rear feed, so for that paper, my problem persists.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Brody View Post
    Hi all,

I have used and loved my Epson 3800 for over almost three years, I got it in 1/07. When I use glossy paper, mostly Harman FB, and load it into the regular auto sheet feeder, I have no problems. When I use matt papers which require the rear slot for loading, there is often a problem. Either the printer does not grab the paper and nothing happens, or it thinks there's paper and wastes a bunch of ink and the paper's still in the slot. I just made two prints, one on Moab Entrada Natural 190 and had no problem. When I tried the Entrada Bright White 300, considerably heavier and more to my taste, it took me three tries and it worked only when I removed the holder, leaned over the printer, and fed it in the "bare" rear slot.

Has anyone else had these problems, or am I alone, and if so, has anyone figured out a solution short of using the front feed, which for me is a pain when I use larger, eg 13x19 paper, and indeed the front feed won't take anything over 16" so on the rare occasion I make a 16x20 print on 17x22, or 17x25 paper, I need on of the rear feed slots.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Eric
    Whenever I use a paper that requires the rear feed I gently push the paper at the top edge and then the feeder grabs it. I've been doing this since day one with the printer and everything has worked fine.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

I sometimes have issuses when the curl of the paper is going "the wrong way", so I help the paper by pushing it in as it is getting loaded. Once in it runs just fine.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Bob

Not sure if it applies but this was recently posted on Eric Chan's site about the 3800 feed problems.

I am having trouble feeding sheets through the Auto Sheet Feed and/or Rear Feed. The 3800 tries to grab the sheets, but the sheet keeps slipping. What's wrong?
    The top roller that grabs the paper may be coated with paper dust. This can happen if you print often with cotton rag papers. You can clean the rollers in a couple of ways.
    Here's one method suggested by Tony Bonanno: Carefully swab the rollers with isopropyl alcohol. They should be able to pick up the sheets afterwards.

Here's another method proposed by Mathilde, which should help ensure that the alcohol doesn't cause the rubber roller to become too dry: Use a swab that has been moistened with normal tap water and a clean unused toothbrush. Swab the big rubber roll as far as you can reach, and gently brush the now-damp roller. Press the paper feed button and repeat the cleaning action.

Thanks, Tony and Mathilde!