Thread: linhof tech 5x7

linhof tech 5x7

hi,i was wondering if anyone out there knows anything about the linhof technika 5x7 camera,ive been searching for hours on the net and cant find anything.ive come across one in a small camera shop in paris for 8,000 francs which is about $1,102.98.it is in good condition and has tan leather .i think it might be a tech iv.it comes with three lenses 120mmangulon,a 210mm xenar,and a 360mm tele xenar all mounted on linhof panels.it also has a format change back to 9x12 cm format.all the lenses are in execellent condition and workin.can anyone tell me if this is a good deal and do u know how many of these cameras were made.if it is a tech III is it worth it.thanx to anyone who can help me fred

Photo Dilettante Donald Brewster's Avatar

linhof tech 5x7

Midwest Photo Exchange usually has a few Linhof Tech 5x7 cameras in their inventory, as well as the usual accessories. The description sounds like a Tech IV to me and either way appears to be a very good price considering the inclusion of the lenses. Check http://www.mpex.com for a comparison.

linhof tech 5x7

What is the serial number?

Then we know model and age.

linhof tech 5x7

Sounds like the lenses are worth more than that.

However, keep in mind that Linhof probably puts more bellows into less space than anybody else. I.E. Compressed width vs extended lingth. They do this by using thin materal.

On a camera that old, I would expect the bellows to leak or if it has had little use to start leaking shortly after you begin to use it.

I purchased a very well cared for 4 and the bellows leaked a great deal. Between tape and goop, I pluged about 90% of the leaks but it looked so bad, I couldn't stand it.

I took them off and replaced them with a scrounged Super Graflex bellows. The double extension graflex bellows take up as much room as the tripple extension Linhof.

Even non-Linhof, I would expect you would have to pay $200 to $300 for new bellows.

linhof tech 5x7

Genuine Linhof 5x7 bellows is $289 from Midwest Photo. Add $100 for local repairman to replace it. I'm not sure whether the IV has front tilt, swing, etc. (My tongue hangeth out at the mere thought of owning one).

linhof tech 5x7

Get the serial number for the camera you are considering and talk to Bob Salomon as the older cameras do not zero on the ground glass and need matched cams with lenses and also may not have a full compliment of front movements. Time well spent in my opinion.

linhof tech 5x7

Tecn V's also had tan leather; what controls are on the front standard? Does it have axis tilt or only base tilt, that is, are there two knobs at the top of the front standard to control the lens tilt or a lever at the base to unlock the standard to tilt it backwards? Tech V's have the knobs and Tech IV's and III's have the base lever.

linhof tech 5x7

Talking on movements, I believe none of the 5x7 have axis tilt, only base tilt. Am I wrong? I also have in mind that the maximum extension is not enough for a 600mm. True?

linhof tech 5x7

A friend of mine has a 5x7 Technika V and it is just like a 4x5 Technika V in it's front movements; it does indeed have axis tilt for the lens. For one example photograph of the 5x7 version see page 95 in the 2/1969 issue of International Photo Technik magazine. Another excellent photograph can be seen on page 59 of The Linhof Camera Story, published in 1990; this photograph shows a 5x7 Technika V alongside a Master Technika and a Super Technika 23B. In addition much of the Linhof literature in the late 60's to early 70's show the camera where it is easy to see that the front standard is just an enlarged version of the 4x5 camera.

linhof tech 5x7

I measured the bellows extention of the 5x7 Tech V and it seems to be about 560mm, so a 600mm lens would not work. A 600mm or 800mm Nikkor telephoto lens would be a good choice as they both have a 310mm image circle.