Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DLC 45, MQC 57, or Chamonix 45N

DLC 45, MQC 57, or Chamonix 45N

Weight/bulk/quality/reliability are all serious concerns.

This is for a dedicated 6x12cm roll film camera... never any sheet film. I'm buying a 5x12 Korona for large sheet photography.

I'm aware of the idiosyncrasies of each of these cameras. I already have the MQC 57 and have been planning to sell it and buy a Chamonix 45N (with new focus panel) to save weight/bulk. The DLC is not out of the running but it weighs nearly as much as the MQC... only 12 ounces lighter... but it's a bit less bulky.

My gut feeling has long been to opt for the Chammy due to it's lesser weight/bulk. What concerns me is the smaller lens panels so using a 38mm may be a problem even with the 10mm recessed board. That said... the MQC will allow use of the KBC 6x17cm RFH. However, I'm a bit concerned about film flatness with such a long roll film image. But... that's yet another question.

I'm rambling... someone please slap me out of my hysteria.

Dave Karp

Re: DLC 45, MQC 57, or Chamonix 45N

Personally, I would keep the camera you have.

It gives you the widest options: 5x7, 4x5, various panoramic formats. It is still pretty light, if not as light as the Chamonix.

Well, if I keep the MQC I "might" shoot 5x7 but never 4x5. Plus I'll probably sell the Horseman 6x12cm holder and buy the KBC 6x17cm... this is assuming it holds that long 17cm bit of film as flat as the Horseman does.

Crazy idea: if want a camera for 6x12cm use only, and you'll already have a 5x12 for large format panoramic with movements, why not go for a 6x12 medium format camera?
    I've used the Linhof 612 on a few occasions, like it. I bet the Fotoman is probably much cheaper if you can find one. And there's a Horseman as well. Oh, and an Alpa.
    (Can any of those take 220? That would sure save changing rolls so often.)

I love the 1:2 ratio. wish the Nikon Coolscans could do 6x12cm w/o stitching..

Just get the damned roll film back and start shooting for peet's sake! use what you have.....get the horseman 6x12 roll film adapter back and SHOOT, SHOOT, Shoot! Less talk and more action! Life is short, get to it!

(how's that for a bitch slappin' ? )

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    Well, if I keep the MQC I "might" shoot 5x7 but never 4x5. Plus I'll probably sell the Horseman 6x12cm holder and buy the KBC 6x17cm... this is assuming it holds that long 17cm bit of film as flat as the Horseman does.

wait...do you already have the Horseman 6x12 roll film adapter?

Just slap that puppy on a Crown Graphic with a decently accurate rangefinder and go to work!

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Just get the damned roll film back and start shooting for peet's sake! use what you have.....get the horseman 6x12 roll film adapter back and SHOOT, SHOOT, Shoot! Less talk and more action! Life is short, get to it!

Thanks, Brad. I feel much better now. I mean that in a very innocent way.

Quote Originally Posted by brianam View Post
    Crazy idea: if want a camera for 6x12cm use only, and you'll already have a 5x12 for large format panoramic with movements, why not go for a 6x12 medium format camera?
    I've used the Linhof 612 on a few occasions, like it. I bet the Fotoman is probably much cheaper if you can find one. And there's a Horseman as well. Oh, and an Alpa.
    (Can any of those take 220? That would sure save changing rolls so often.)

I love the 1:2 ratio. wish the Nikon Coolscans could do 6x12cm w/o stitching..
    The Linhof 612 PCII and the 617S III cameras both take 120 and 220 film.

wait...do you already have the Horseman 6x12 roll film adapter?

Just slap that puppy on a Crown Graphic with a decently accurate rangefinder and go to work!
    I have Crowns running out my ears but I want rear swing/tilt. Also, I will only be using GG composing. I already have the MQC and a Horseman 6x12 RFH but it seems such a waste to shoot such small film on a 5x7. If I'm going to keep the MQC it makes more sense (to me) to get the KBC 6x17 back and use rise/fall to shoot two images to stitch if I want a squattier image (100x168mm). It's a bigger/heavier camera so I might as well use bigger film.

The thing to keep in mind is this was SUPPOSED to be a very light/compact kit for when I can't carry the 5x12 behemoth. So an ultra-light 4x5 with a 6x12cm RFH was INTENDED to be something I could carry at those times.

That said, I want an ultra-light that can easily take lenses ranging from 38mm up to at least 300mm. The DLC can easily do this and I "think" the Chamonix will too but with much less weight.

Lachlan 717

Good on you, Brad, for bringing some sense to this self-indulgent thread.

Gee, do I drive the Porsche, the Lambo, the Masa, the Bentley, the Rolls or the Aston?

All will get you the final destination with no fuss. It's not like you're trying to decide between 2 non-European cars...

Unless you're a) self flagellistic and/or b) too cashed up, I'd suggest less typing and more shooting.

Uust use what's at hand and stop posting seemingly pointless questions.