Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Print Out Paper Frames - I might make some...

vickersdc

Print Out Paper Frames - I might make some...

Hi all,

Having embarked on a journey with my FKD camera, and using paper negatives, I'm thinking about printing a positive using a printing out frame. I'd like to make a 'proper' one, with a hinged sprung back, felt padding, likely to be of Oak, proper threaded inserts and brass knobs to adjust the spring tension.

But in order to make it worthwhile ordering the stainless steel to make the springs, I'll likely need to make several - not a problem, but I won't need twenty of the things!

First off, is anyone interested in a 10x8" printing out frame? If I can get a rough idea of numbers first, then I can work out the cost of making one.

So, I'm only interested in finding out if this is something that others might be interested in - I certainly won't be taking anyone to task if they change their mind!

Cheers,
    David.

Re: Print Out Paper Frames - I might make some...

There are a number of contact printing frames already available commercially, and some of them are quite nice.

vickersdc

Hi Gene,

Yes, I've been looking around at the commercially available ones, and I'm sure some of them are indeed quite nice. But I'm not after 'quite' nice, I want 'really rather nice'

I'm going to make my own anyway, and I just thought that it's pretty much as easy to make five as to make one, if others were interested.

Over on APUG, several people have provided suggestions and ideas, and some expressions of interest, so armed with that knowledge I've a much better idea of what it is I'm creating. One thing for example, is to make something that is easy to use for those who suffer from problems with manual dexterity.

Cheers,
    David.

I'd be interested in a good contact printing frame if the price were right. I've been contemplating buying one, but was always put off by the high price of commercial models.

However, I'd prefer it a little larger than 8x10". I usually work with 9.5x12" (24x30cm) paper. This paper size is easier to find in Europe than 8x10", and if I were to contact print an 8x10" negative I think I'd find it easier to use an entire sheet of paper (albeit slightly larger than the negative) and cut off the excess later, than to cut each sheet in the darkroom so it fits a smaller frame.
    Also, 9.5x12" paper completely covers a sheet of 135/120/4x5" negative sleeves, which makes it perfect for making contact proofs. 8x10" paper is too small for that.

I'd buy a good 9.5x12" contact printing frame if it were reasonably priced. So, if it isn't too difficult for you to make it 9.5x12" rather than 8x10", then count me in.

vickersdc

Funnily enough Vlad, the comments that I've had so far have all said to make it larger than the obvious sizes - so an 8x10 destined for 4x5 use, an 11x14 for 8x10 and so on.

So, if you needed something for 9.5x12, would an 11x14 be enough for you too?

David.

Thanks David, 11x14" would be great.

vickersdc

OK, I think I have enough expressions of interest to make of these at that size, so I'll create some drawings and work out a costing for them, and let you know in due course.

Thank you,
    David.

vickersdc

Well, I've made a start on manufacturing a traditional contact printing frame for print-out-papers.

Here you can see one of the stainless steel leaf springs, and the four brass knobs that I turned on the lathe today. The threaded inserts for the wood have arrived, and I'm hoping that I might get an hour or so in the workshop over the weekend to start on the Oak frame.

Cheers,
    David.

vickersdc

Quick update on the printing frames, as I've now made the outer frame (Oak) on the prototype version, stamped out some new leaf springs from stainless steel and made a leather handle for it. Here's a few images...

Wow! It looks great.
    I can't wait to see it finished.