Thread: Holocaust Memorial, Miami

Holocaust Memorial, Miami

I did not know about this memorial until I only had a couple of hours to shoot in Miami. The light was not all I could have wanted, but I got a few shots:

http://www.epr-art.com/galleries/b4-holocaust/

It is a very large bronze sculpture, very well done and very powerful. If others have photographed this, please post some of your images. I have some small format images I will add to the gallery later. I am hoping to get another change to shoot this.

The double exposure is just that - I was rushed and screwed up, but the image is interesting.

Re: Holocaust Memorial, Miami

Thanks for posting Ed, You did a great job with this series. The sculpture is indeed very powerful but i can only imagine what it is to be right in front. The double exposure is very interesting.

Ed, you must have changed something on your site and the link doesn't work
    i get the gallery on:
    http://www.epr-art.com/galleries/b4f-holocaust/

Thanks Andrew, I did rearrange the stie. Folks are better hitting the index page, which is stable:

http://www.epr-art.com/galleryindex.php

Just waiting to be developed..

Ed, These are great images! Thanks for sharing them.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

funkadelic

Nice work, Ed. Technically, this is located in the city of Miami Beach. Miami is "mainland" back across the causeway.
    Growing up in rural Oklahoma in the 70s and 80s, the Holocaust was a topic we just brushed over in high school. No one in my circles really discussed it.
    I later had the pleasure of visiting this Memorial for the first time with an elderly couple that survived the Holocaust. They knew each other as children before Germany invaded Poland. They lost contact, but after several years both survived and eventually moved to New York City, where they found each other completely by accident. They later married and moved to Miami Beach.
    Fast forward a few decades to a young hick in his early 20s asking a bunch of questions about history. When I was shown the tattoo and told of how he met his wife, I was in awe. We scheduled a trip to the Memorial the following weekend so that I would tell my friends back home in hope that the uneducated could learn from history, and the lesson would not be forgotten. Less than a hundred years ago, it seems to be forgotten by many. Even denied by some.
    Standing between the couple that survived this horror while taking in all the details of the sculpture was a very moving experience. I could feel so many emotions emanating from the pair. Love, hatred, sadness, joy. I wish everyone could experience this as a required lesson in humanity.
    As many reasons as I had for leaving Miami, the cultural experience was one of the reasons I wanted to stay... so many people from so many places.
    Last edited by cdholden; 18-Jan-2010 at 07:59. Reason: geographic correction

Michael Alpert

Ed,

The building and pool seem fine, but the sculpture must have been greeted by some Jews in the Miami community with apprehension. The philosopher Theodor Adorno warned against turning the Holocaust into aesthetic experience--any kind of aesthetic experience. I share Adorno's reservation. There is a memorial in Germany that consists of a column that each day was lowered a few feet into the ground. At the end of a period of time, only the top of the column remained visible. That memorial at least seems to respect the fact of disappearance, which is, as far as I am concerned, central. The intent of Miami's sculpture is, well, not so clear. Defining and depicting all of those people as suffering people only, and not as living people with a vast range of attributes, possibilities, and emotions, seems, at this point in history, more histrionic than historic. As a Jew who was born in 1945, I don't like the sculpture and I don't like your images.