Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Nikkor-SW 90mm f/8 vs Schneider Super-Angulon 90mm f/8 MC [large pics, be aware]

Re: Nikkor-SW 90mm f/8 vs Schneider Super-Angulon 90mm f/8 MC [large pics, be aware]

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    I'm fairly certain that only the 18mp crop-sensor digital cameras get in to diffraction problems at f/5.6, while full frame cameras with higher MP counts are okay at f/8 or even f/11 (and even f/16 on the D700 12mp camera I don't see diffraction on most lenses).
    The latest stuff I'm refering to are Sony's latest 20+ mpxl (look at NEX 7)wonder children and the expected 30+ Mpxl cameras the majors are releasing in this season. Sensors are the equivalent to the MF digi back we're all up in arms about over at Lum Lanscape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjpWaG6Lnhg

Amazing to me when the 12 mpxl cameras are now the large pixel sensor types.

My first digital at work was 11 microns and it was crappy. Useful for web was about all.

Moving target, but film is still better..

bob

Re: Nikkor-SW 90mm f/8 vs Schneider Super-Angulon 90mm f/8 MC [large pics, be aware]

Ah, well yes 20+ APS-C cameras are going to be worse, and I've heard Nikon's next camera may be 36mp on FX...but anyway, that's why I buy primes for my digital!!
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TJV View Post
    I'm late to the party on this thread (by over two years!) and found it while searching for info on diffraction limits of my Schneider SA f8. I haven't had the chance to print or scan any of the images I've taken with mine yet, but have been wondering if I've been using it at optimum aperture. I pretty much only shoot at f22 out of habit but have read several posts that say f16 is far sharper at the plane of focus if fine detail in that area is critical. Would this be true?
    Just do some tests for own information. Get a resolution chart, and run some tests. You may find that your lens has a real sweet spot. Remember to put charts in the center, and also at the edges. You don't have to figure out the exact LP/mm, just figure out where your lens is sharpest, and how it handles things towards the edges.

That's all.

Thanks all. I might do the test target thing regardless of diffraction testing as I've swapped my ground glass and fresnel and need to test focus accuracy. Good times ahoy...