Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nikkor-SW 90mm f/8 vs Schneider Super-Angulon 90mm f/8 MC [large pics, be aware]

Nikkor-SW 90mm f/8 vs Schneider Super-Angulon 90mm f/8 MC [large pics, be aware]

Guess which is which? You be the judge!

Both shot with Shen-Hao TFC617A camera. One was shot 10s after the other. both lense fitted on Linhof 99x96 lensboards. Focus checked by ground glass before shooting. All setting at the same: f/22, ISO 125, shutter speed was around 1/60s i think.

Re: Nikkor-SW 90mm f/8 vs Schneider Super-Angulon 90mm f/8 MC [large pics, be aware]

I couldn't tell which lens was used for each picture, but I prefer the second one. Is it the Nikon?

Re: Nikkor-SW 90mm f/8 vs Schneider Super-Angulon 90mm f/8 MC [large pics, be aware]

Ok, I'll bite. Of course, f/22 is already a pretty good equalizer (f/32 being the great equalizer). Even then, the 2nd picture has slightly better resolution and contrast in the corners and at the edges to my eye (less falloff as well). Since the Nikkor has the nominally larger image circle, I would assume the 2nd is the Nikkor and the first the SA f/8. Personally, I have never used the f/8 Angulon, only the f/8 Nikkor occasionally.

I don't know which is which but the second image is better in every way. I don't know what other variables are involved... slight variations in aperture, camera vibrations, damage to glass coatings unseen to naked eye, manufacturing variables, etc. There is also a very slight difference in density which could throw off the apperance of textural detail.

Nice test though.

joseph

Different lighting in both-
    I don't have either, so pointless guessing, but the second would appear to have better off-axis resolution-
    check out the car in the bottom left, for example-

I wonder how much difference the is between different samples of the same lens?

I prefer the second. Sharpness into the corners tames the distortion there... would be interesting to see the Fujinon 90 SW f8 added in an = test since it covers close to the SA. Mike's right of course, but we would have to gather two or better yet, three samples of each.... I have a very clean SA and Fuji....if some trusting soul has another Nikon.... RF Forum did this with 50mm lenses, was very informative, many more lenses tho ... Could even use same side of the same holder to eliminate that variable and tank or holder dev to control that set of variables....

I vote for #2 also. However, neither looks sharp to me. I suspect that has something to do with scanning which would be identical for each.

Ok, here's the answer: second is Nikkor. Seems that everyone won the guess... Sharpness in the center is pretty good for both lense in my opinion. But I was still surprised to see that the Nikkor is so much better than the Super-Angulon in the corner....

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    Different lighting in both-
    I don't have either, so pointless guessing, but the second would appear to have better off-axis resolution-
    check out the car in the bottom left, for example-

I wonder how much difference the is between different samples of the same lens?
    I handled 3 SA 90/8 MCs in the past and this one (145xxxxx) was slightly better than the other two (144xxxxx and 141xxxxx) in the corners; in the middle they were pretty much the same. I only have handled one Nikkor (691xxxxx) so far so I've no way to tell the sample variation for Nikkor....

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I vote for #2 also. However, neither looks sharp to me. I suspect that has something to do with scanning which would be identical for each.
    These are very large scannings, 1600 dpi on Imacon Flextight, over 10000dpi wide, and I believe it is approaching the diffraction limit at f/22 at this resolution (not there yet, but very close). If you scroll the image to the middle you'll see the better resolution part; and scroll to the bottom right corner you'll see other examples of Nikkor's better resolution (leaves of the trees and the doors of Best Buy).