Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: California State Parks gestapo is looking for you!

Re: California State Parks gestapo is looking for you!

When I see these discussions, I wonder why the Parks don't see the mutually constructive relationship that exists between photographers and the Parks.

Could they ask for any better on-going advertisement than to have photographs taken by so many talented photographers so prevalent in our everyday lives? Where would their receipts be without these photographs? And they want to discourage photographers and their images?

Props, models, reflectors, etc., can get in the way; it makes sense to control these projects with permits. But allowing photographers and their tripods to roam the parks would seem to me to be in the Parks' best interest.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    When I see these discussions, I wonder why the Parks don't see the mutually constructive relationship that exists between photographers and the Parks.

Could they ask for any better on-going advertisement than to have photographs taken by so many talented photographers so prevalent in our everyday lives? Where would their receipts be without these photographs? And they want to discourage photographers and their images?

Props, models, reflectors, etc., can get in the way; it makes sense to control these projects with permits. But allowing photographers and their tripods to roam the parks would seem to me to be in the Parks' best interest.
    Parks are not businesses, and (some?) Rangers are lazy. Promotion is their worst nightmare. The more people they can drive off, the better they like it.

Gee I didn't know how lucky I've been. I've shot in Bodie State Park many times with my 4x5 and no one has ever said a word. I once took my Medium Format camera into the State Railroad Museum and had know problems there either. Maybe I look like I don't know what I'm doing so the Gestapo Rangers leave me alone.
    Sid

Drew Wiley

The photographer who was jumped was interviewed on TV last night, along with the
    head ranger. The public is pretty disgusted. This just seems to be a case where this
    particular park is supervised by someone anal. My typical experience with state park rangers is that they're friendly and often interested in what I'm composing. We've had many good conversations about wildlife, regional history, and shared experiences.
    Some of the local rangers have become personal friends. This instance is odd.

Not quite a curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Conrad View Post
    There is no charge for a photography permit, so it generates no revenue.
    I stand corrected.

From the posts after mine - this seems to be generally an uncommon practice
    that is common in Santa Cruz.

At 2300+ miles from me - I don't think that it is going to impact me in the near
    future.
    Regards,
    Stan G.
    --------------------
    Good . . . fast . . . Cheap
    Pick any two
    (You can't get all three at the same time)

Octogenarian

Perhaps the head ranger should be required to watch the Ken Burns series on the National Parks that was shown on TV. It's also on DVD.

He will soon begin to realize that the National Park System that we enjoy today probably would not exist if it were not for photographers.

His job was created, thanks to the efforts of photographers.

If the head ranger cannot realize this fact, he should be replaced with someone who does.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Parks are not businesses, and (some?) Rangers are lazy. Promotion is their worst nightmare. The more people they can drive off, the better they like it.
    As an ex-ranger (Fed, not State) I'll just write off your comment as perhaps the result of a grumpy morning. I am afraid it is a particularly nasty erroneous generalization.

Vaughn

Drew Wiley

It's especially ironic that this incident occurred right on the opposite end of Monterey
    Bay from Pt Lobos State Park, where on a given summer day there are photographers
    with expensive professional equipment everywhere uncontested. On a clear day you
    can see these two spots from one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    It's especially ironic that this incident occurred right on the opposite end of Monterey
    Bay from Pt Lobos State Park, where on a given summer day there are photographers
    with expensive professional equipment everywhere uncontested. On a clear day you
    can see these two spots from one another.
    But even AA got a ticket for setting his camera up in Pt Lobos where a sign told everyone not to go...

Quote Originally Posted by pocketfulladoubles View Post
    I agree with you Sam. This was not a pro gig - it was a family shoot. The equipment you are using is meaningless, and I don't think I'd have been so forgiving to the ranger. That arrest would make a great lawsuit.
    Arrest? Where did you see that? I just skimmed the article but I thought it said the photographer didn't even get a ticket.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.