Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobo Expert with XTOL 1+1 Volumes

Jobo Expert with XTOL 1+1 Volumes

In a couple of weeks my (used) Jobo Expert Drums (3005, 3006, 3010) will arrive and I will be using them on the Jobo CPP-2 w/lift.

I checked the Jobo site for the chemical volumes and it says, for example, that the maximum volume for the 3005 (5 sheets of 8x10) is 630ml.

Considering that 100ml of dev. is needed per sheet, at 1+1, I would need 1000ml; this is well in excess of the recommended total volume.

By searching this site, I noticed that many develop with the Expert Drums at 1:1 and even 1:3

How is this managed? Are the drums capacity actually higher than the published ones? and if so, is it safe for the processor to run drums at higher (heavier) volumes.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Jobo Expert with XTOL 1+1 Volumes

It's good to provide him the link because there is other valid info in that thread.

To directly answer: One way would be split the 1000 ml volume in two increments process for 1/2 the time and then use the other fresh developer for the remaining time.

This seems so apparent, but it seems weird that no where has this been stated in any documentation? But it works!!! I can attest

In a couple of weeks my (used) Jobo Expert Drums (3005, 3006, 3010) will arrive and I will be using them on the Jobo CPP-2 w/lift.

I checked the Jobo site for the chemical volumes and it says, for example, that the maximum volume for the 3005 (5 sheets of 8x10) is 630ml.

Considering that 100ml of dev. is needed per sheet, at 1+1, I would need 1000ml; this is well in excess of the recommended total volume.

By searching this site, I noticed that many develop with the Expert Drums at 1:1 and even 1:3

How is this managed? Are the drums capacity actually higher than the published ones? and if so, is it safe for the processor to run drums at higher (heavier) volumes.

Thanks in advance.

Japan Exposures

An alternative might be to use a 2850 print drum. It can handle four 8x10 and the print drums are not that heavy, even with lots of liquid in them.

Scott Hannaford

Are you sure about those quantities? I don't use Xtol, I'm using ID11 1:1, with 50-60ml per sheet of 4x5 in an expert drum, and results are good. I'm using a 3006 which I know is a smaller drum than what you've got. BTW on the issue of older motors, my CPA is one of the older motors and it works fine with the above (admittedly I'm using less than half a litre), I wouldn't get too stressed about insisting on using one of the newer motors as long as you're not overloading it too much.

Thank you all for the suggestion and the link - hadn't noticed that one in my searches.

Scott - those are the volumes printed on the Jobo website. Once I get the drums I will have to experiment a bit - I have a densitometer to check the results.

Greg - I never would have thought of splitting the development - too straight forward and simple!

Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    I use 1000ml min all the time, more with 8x10 drum. Your drums can all handle a liter. It works very well. I don't ever vary the amount of developer - that just seems foolish to me... to add another variable (developer exhaustion) unnecessarily. Developer isn't that expensive....

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    I use 1000ml min all the time, more with 8x10 drum. Your drums can all handle a liter. It works very well. I don't ever vary the amount of developer - that just seems foolish to me... to add another variable (developer exhaustion) unnecessarily. Developer isn't that expensive....

Lenny
    Lenny - Are you also using the drums on the Jobo CPP-2?

Eric Nelson

With either my 3010 or my 3005 there was included a capacity chart for color and B&W chemistry which is in the link. This differs greatly from the 630ml Renato mentions for 5 sheet so I wonder what changed between the time I bought my drums and the Jobo online posting quoted?

I don't use the 3005 much, but do use the 3010 frequently. I used to employ the lift technique during processing, as the 1500 series drums and roll films requires it here to prevent "road ruts", but eventually found it wasn't necessary w/the 3010.

I set the rotation at "F" or slightly faster and use more chemistry than indicated on the chart to accommodate that slower rotation. It's good to know that I can use the expert drums set to rotate in one direction as I'd never heard that before. It will save some wear and tear on the motor I'm sure.

If you'll search around a little more, you'll find a Jobo datasheet that says the max for a 3005 is 1500ml. Of course, your CPP2 may not be able to handle the load.