Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cost of lambda and lightjet prints?

Re: cost of lambda and lightjet prints?

Quote Originally Posted by percepts View Post
    which labs?
    Bob Carnie can speak for his lab Elevator, but their "Press n Go" seems to be very affordable $9.50 per 12 linear inches @ 30" wide. So, your print would fit in a 24"x30" paper space (2 linear feet), which would be $19. I think they will ship prints.
    http://www.elevatordigital.ca/pressngo.html

Toronto Image Works also offers a similar prep-it-yourself service at $20/linear foot (they call theirs "bulk printing"), but theirs is a 50" wide printer. http://www.torontoimageworks.com

The nice thing about both of these services is that you can print as many images as you can fit in the paper space for the same price (further lowering the price per photo).

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Galbraith View Post
    Bob Carnie can speak for his lab Elevator, but their "Press n Go" seems to be very affordable $9.50 per 12 linear inches @ 30" wide. So, your print would fit in a 24"x30" paper space (2 linear feet), which would be $19. I think they will ship prints.
    http://www.elevatordigital.ca/pressngo.html

Toronto Image Works also offers a similar prep-it-yourself service at $20/linear foot (they call theirs "bulk printing"), but theirs is a 50" wide printer. http://www.torontoimageworks.com

The nice thing about both of these services is that you can print as many images as you can fit in the paper space for the same price (further lowering the price per photo).
    Suggest you go back and have a look elevator site for price of digital Fibre at 16x20.

Is this of any interest?

http://www.adoramapix.com/PriceList.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1234 View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if some of you know what fibre based black and white paper is...

p.s. Let me offer a free gift of a clue to those missing one. Harman Digital Fibre Paper is traditional black and white fibre based paper with a silver halide emulsion specially designed for use with laser printers such as Lamdas or Lightjets. It is not an RA4 paper or c-print paper.

I know what FB paper is, percepts. I was shooting LF at age 13 and used only FB with archival procedures... all tray process. I just didn't understand the process to which you referred. Pardon my ignorance as I've been out of "real" photography for a quarter century and I'm trying to catch up. I was trying to help and I don't appreciate the sarcasm. There's really no need to make someone feel like a complete fool, is there?

I have used Dalmation Labs here in the USA a few times and have been happy with the results using the Ilford Digital Fiber

http://www.dalmatianlab.com/digital/...rints-pricing/

there is also a good explanation on that link as to what this is

Hi Percepts

I do print Harmon digital fibre as does Metro in your neck of the woods.
    my 16x20 price is around 125 Canadian plus toning charge on top.
    One of the reasons that this service is so expensive is in my case is the ROI of a Lambda exposing unit which was around 200k.
    I just replaced a laser last week at 15k, and when technicians are needed to work on my machine it is at $500 per hour.
    The main reason of the cost though would be that I have to keep a rather large darkroom available as I hand process the paper after lambda exposure and the calibration stage to get the 21 steps in line take around 1-3hours for me each time I run. By keeping wet darkrooms open in a shrinking market I have been forced to pay the rent on space that other labs have given up on.

Some labs, use Thetas , or Lightjets and all others use machines to process which I do not.

I just saw the new Harmon Warmtone paper which I will be putting on the Lambda first quarter 2010, and there may even be a matte surface for the warm base.
    Now we just need the schools to put a laser machine in place and let all the youngsters get turned onto fibre.

Quote Originally Posted by percepts View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if some of you know what fibre based black and white paper is...

p.s. Let me offer a free gift of a clue to those missing one. Harman Digital Fibre Paper is traditional black and white fibre based paper with a silver halide emulsion specially designed for use with laser printers such as Lamdas or Lightjets. It is not an RA4 paper or c-print paper.

The lab I gave figures for also hand prints and the cost for that is 50% of the lambda cost. And the lambda is used for c-prints as well and they are very much cheaper. The pricing still doesn't make sense to me. In your case if the darkroom is solely for lambda prints I could understand it but your prices are cheaper than the lab I looked at so their prices still seem very expensive to me. Especially as the bulk of lambda use will be for c-prints. There is a premium for harmon digital fibre prints and I still haven't found out why.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Hi Percepts

I do print Harmon digital fibre as does Metro in your neck of the woods.
    my 16x20 price is around 125 Canadian plus toning charge on top.
    One of the reasons that this service is so expensive is in my case is the ROI of a Lambda exposing unit which was around 200k.
    I just replaced a laser last week at 15k, and when technicians are needed to work on my machine it is at $500 per hour.
    The main reason of the cost though would be that I have to keep a rather large darkroom available as I hand process the paper after lambda exposure and the calibration stage to get the 21 steps in line take around 1-3hours for me each time I run. By keeping wet darkrooms open in a shrinking market I have been forced to pay the rent on space that other labs have given up on.

Some labs, use Thetas , or Lightjets and all others use machines to process which I do not.

I just saw the new Harmon Warmtone paper which I will be putting on the Lambda first quarter 2010, and there may even be a matte surface for the warm base.
    Now we just need the schools to put a laser machine in place and let all the youngsters get turned onto fibre.

Labs that offer this printing are in most cases in very expensive areas of the world.
    Metro - London , Picto - Paris , Lamount - New York, Duggal - New York.
    I think this has to come into the equation, Also the work involved with this process is every bit as involved as silver printing by hand , but with the added steps of laser calibration, and Photo Shop work that if not done properly will create all kinds of problems.
    For me scanning negs to print are the easiest to work with, getting raw files and converting myself is next. We do run into a lot of conversions that are basically crap and over the years have slowly tried to encourage this part of the workflow to be at least overseen by us.
    I print inkjet, RA4 , enlarger fibre and lambda fibre and coming up with the results I like is most definately the hardest with Lambda Fibre.

I cannot speak for any other lab but for me the difficulty of making everything come out right on paper is why I charge the prices I do. It must be noted that my enlarger hand prints are about the same price and in the new year we are making adjustments in our pricing to equalize them.
    CPrints off a lambda, chromira or lightjet is dead nut simple, fast and efficient , you will notice that I have spoken on this in past threads about murals from Chromira.
    In Canada and parts of the States a ongoing price per foot is going on and it is because , the customers are becoming very digitally savvy and are able to image quite well without the labs technical knowledge and therefore only need us to ram the paper through the machine. There fore the lower costs.
    For some reason imaging to Lambda fibre is harder and a premium is attached to do so.

Price per foot will never happen with wet fibre , at least not in my case , as dev, stop, fix, fix, wash , hypo clear wash, bleach sepia, selenium tone is part of the process and I cannot, or will not automate,

There also is the possibility of a group of like minded photographers , getting together and purchasing a Devere Digital Enlarger. They have been around for a few years, I think the price range is around 50k Canadian .
    I have never seen output from this device so cannot comment on the quality vs Lambda.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Labs that offer this printing are in most cases in very expensive areas of the world.
    Metro - London , Picto - Paris , Lamount - New York, Duggal - New York.
    I think this has to come into the equation, Also the work involved with this process is every bit as involved as silver printing by hand , but with the added steps of laser calibration, and Photo Shop work that if not done properly will create all kinds of problems.
    For me scanning negs to print are the easiest to work with, getting raw files and converting myself is next. We do run into a lot of conversions that are basically crap and over the years have slowly tried to encourage this part of the workflow to be at least overseen by us.
    I print inkjet, RA4 , enlarger fibre and lambda fibre and coming up with the results I like is most definately the hardest with Lambda Fibre.

I cannot speak for any other lab but for me the difficulty of making everything come out right on paper is why I charge the prices I do. It must be noted that my enlarger hand prints are about the same price and in the new year we are making adjustments in our pricing to equalize them.
    CPrints off a lambda, chromira or lightjet is dead nut simple, fast and efficient , you will notice that I have spoken on this in past threads about murals from Chromira.
    In Canada and parts of the States a ongoing price per foot is going on and it is because , the customers are becoming very digitally savvy and are able to image quite well without the labs technical knowledge and therefore only need us to ram the paper through the machine. There fore the lower costs.
    For some reason imaging to Lambda fibre is harder and a premium is attached to do so.

Price per foot will never happen with wet fibre , at least not in my case , as dev, stop, fix, fix, wash , hypo clear wash, bleach sepia, selenium tone is part of the process and I cannot, or will not automate,

There also is the possibility of a group of like minded photographers , getting together and purchasing a Devere Digital Enlarger. They have been around for a few years, I think the price range is around 50k Canadian .
    I have never seen output from this device so cannot comment on the quality vs Lambda.
    Last time I looked the lcd pixel array was way too small to print anything half decent over 12x16 and the lcd moves during the exposure to blur the pixel boundaries. Somehow I don't think thats going to give the best definition. They may have improved it by now but I'm not planning on using one.