Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another G'day from Aussieland

Another G'day from Aussieland

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to pop my head in and say 'hi', and thanks for the wonderful forums here! I've popped in here and browsed the forums on an off over the past couple of years but since my most recent projects have seen me spending more and more time with my 4x5 than any other format, I could just picture myself spending a lot more time here. So, time to get out of the shadows and sign myself up.

I'll give a brief intro, my name's Steve, I live in sunny (for this minute at least) Melbourne, in Australia. I've been here for coming on ten years now, but being born and raised a country boy I have to say the city really does drain me... as good as it is for a spot of street photography, I love nothing more than loading up the car with dog and cameras and heading bush for a month or so.

I'm looking forward very much to learning a lot from all the folks on this site, looking forward to meeting you all too!

Cheers,
    Steve

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Lachlan 717

Re: Another G'day from Aussieland

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    I live in sunny (for this minute at least) Melbourne, in Australia. I've been here for coming on ten years now, but being born and raised a country boy I have to say the city really does drain me... as good as it is for a spot of street photography, I love nothing more than loading up the car with dog and cameras and heading bush for a month or so.
    It's like looking into a mirror!

Welcome aboard, Steve.

Might see you out and about one day.

Lachlan

Welcome!

Welcome to group therepy! Seems like we're gettin' quite a contengent from "Down Under"! ...still can't understand why the image on the groundglass down there isn't right-side-up!

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Vick Vickery View Post
    ...still can't understand why the image on the groundglass down there isn't right-side-up!
    It has been the right way up since we went Metric in the '60s...

I expect the streets are safer than the bush. Helmut Newton writes about Australia a lot in his autobiography -- he wanted to honeymoon with June in the bush after their wedding, but June's mom was terrified of the prospect. He said everthing that moves in the Australian bush is poisonous. True?

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by William McEwen View Post
    I expect the streets are safer than the bush. Helmut Newton writes about Australia a lot in his autobiography -- he wanted to honeymoon with June in the bush after their wedding, but June's mom was terrified of the prospect. He said everthing that moves in the Australian bush is poisonous. True?
    Pretty much.

You don't read about them too often, but the real danger in most country areas are the Dropbears.

I suspect that there is a bit of a media agreement out there that stops reporting on the somewhat frequent Dropbear attacks. I have a friend who has some police forensic photos of a Croatian backpacker who got attacked by one. None too pleasant...

Skippy's best mate suffering his fate at the claws of a Dropbear!

R.I.P...

Geez Lachlan, you're not supposed to tell him about the dropbears until they start falling on him.
    Steve, welcome to the forum. Large Format Pat has started an email notification thingy for as many Aussie LF photographers with the intent of having a print go round.
    He has a thread here about it. The APUG LF photographers had a meeting in Melbourne earlier this year and we all brought our gear. A few of us actually went to the Otways and did some shooting at Yannathan Falls which is a bit of a hike with LF gear. It looks as though we're going to have to have another LF meet up.
    Mike

Thanks for the welcome guys, it's good too see LF alive and active down here! I got in touch with Pat, as I mentioned to him, I think something liker what he is proposing might just be the kick in the butt I need to get my printing back up to speed!

...and yes, yes it is pretty deadly out here :P

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.