Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heya from Australia

Talking Heya from Australia

A big hello from Oz! A recent member of this rather fine site, so I thought I'd better say hi and let you all know a little something about myself (briefly, promise!)

Basically I've been an avid photographer since I could walk (that's about 42 years ago), and have always gravitated toward anything with a lens, much to the chagrin of my father who rather hoped I'd follow in his footsteps and develop a fascination with fast cars and all things automotive.

My first SLR camera (after stints with instamatics, instant film and other cheap plastic) was a Minolta XG-1, which I loved and eventually got a decent darkroom together to process my own work. It began my love affair with black and white, and introduced me to the work of the great Ansel Adams. I've had many cameras in the last 40 years or so, currently four of different formats, but nothing compares to my beloved 4x5. It's not the most beautiful cosmetically, but love makes us overlook those superficial imperfections! My Toyo 45G has been responsible for drawing me back to photography when I was almost ready to throw in the towel and retire from picture taking (I blame the soulless digital revolution for my attitude) and I can't imagine never again shooting on such a format, or larger (I have an 8x10 on the way!).

Well that's me as a photographer in a nutshell. I hope to further develop my passion for creative photography (I shoot a variety of styles) further with the endless possibilities of the large format camera. Looking forward to seeing everyone in the forums!

Lachlan 717

Re: Heya from Australia

Welcome aboard, Geoffrey!

There are a few if us about from the Great Southern. Which bit do you call your own?

Lachlan.

Hi Geoffrey,
    welcome to the forum. One of the OZ members who goes by the tg of Large Format Pat has started another thread calling for us to list ourselves and what we use. Good luck
    Mike

Hi Ya Geoffrey
    Welcome to the forum: another Ozy Great.look forward to seeing some of your work,where do you Hail from?
    regards to all
    Brian

Welcome to group therepy! Glad to have ya' aboard...you'll find a few other folks here from your side of the world. Oh, just thought...I can identify with y'all pretty well to...I'm owned by an Australian Shepard named "Mandy"!

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 617 View Post
    Welcome aboard, Geoffrey!

There are a few if us about from the Great Southern. Which bit do you call your own?

Lachlan.
    Hi Lachlan,
    I hail from Bendigo, central VIC. Used to be a quiet country town but now a bit too big for my tastes. Now it's not so easy to pitch a tripod in the middle of the main street!
    A fellow Victorian by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wynd View Post
    Hi Geoffrey,
    welcome to the forum. One of the OZ members who goes by the tg of Large Format Pat has started another thread calling for us to list ourselves and what we use. Good luck
    Mike
    Hi Michael
    Thanks for the welcome! I'll head on over to the other thread and poke around. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by briand View Post
    Hi Ya Geoffrey
    Welcome to the forum: another Ozy Great.look forward to seeing some of your work,where do you Hail from?
    regards to all
    Brian
    Hey Brian,
    Cheers, great to be here and lurk all these wonderful threads. Hope to have some work up in the new year when I can finally get some of it scanned. I'm from Bendigo, which is not too far from you!

Quote Originally Posted by Vick Vickery View Post
    Welcome to group therepy! Glad to have ya' aboard...you'll find a few other folks here from your side of the world. Oh, just thought...I can identify with y'all pretty well to...I'm owned by an Australian Shepard named "Mandy"!
    Hey Vick,
    Aw, Australian Shepherds are adorable. Lucky you! I'm owned by a ginger cat called Jonesy, and he doesn't like having his photo taken :P Just my luck, but I guess trying to photograph an active cat in LF is the very definition of impossible Difficult enough on a DSLR!

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffreyO View Post
    Hi Lachlan,
    I hail from Bendigo, central VIC. Used to be a quiet country town but now a bit too big for my tastes. Now it's not so easy to pitch a tripod in the middle of the main street!
    A fellow Victorian by any chance?
    Right on!

Melbourne based. Currently in Sheffield, UK NOT enjoying -2 degree nights...

I'm thinking about doing a wheatfield trip when I get back (Sunset Country and west).

Let me know if a convoy is in order.

Michael Wynd, are you inerested?

Lachlan