Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gitzo 3 leg sections vs. 4 leg sections

Gitzo 3 leg sections vs. 4 leg sections

The G1325 weights 4 1/2 lbs, the G1348 4 3/4 lbs. That's only 1/4 lb difference for 7" additional extension and 2" lenght reduction when closed.

Georges,

Picking nits here, but accoring to www.gitzo.com, the 1348 weighs 2.2kg and the 1325 2.0kg. That's 4.84 lb. vs. 4.4 lb. - a difference of just over 7 oz. Agai n, this is just based on my own personal needs, but for me it came down to do I want to pay more money to carry around more weight when I don't need either the 7" of added height or the 2" of reduced collapsed length. For my needs the 1325 was plenty tall enough, collapsed as short as I need it to, weighs 7 oz. less a nd costs quite a bit less than the 1348, too. Also, the 1348 has 50% more leg c ollars (9 vs. 6) to loosen/tighten every time I set it up and put it away. Cert ianly not a show stopper, but again I didn't need the "extras" of the 1348, so w hy pay for them and put up with them. I'm not saying others would come to the s ame conclusions - they probably won't, just explaining what works best for me an d why. If someone needs the extra height of the 1348, by all means, go for it.

Kerry

By way of explanation, I had been using a Bogen 3021 with my Wisner for many years and decided to treat myself to a CF tripod this past summer to try to bring down the weight somewhat. I bought the Gitzo 1227 and have sort of regretted it, as while it is very light it seems - to me - to be just a little shaky for the Wisner. So I have decided to buy one of the 13XX series Gitzo CF, even if it ends up not being much lighter than the Bogen 3021 I started with, especially since I am interested in the MF systems as well.

Josh,

If you're moving from a 3021, you'll be amazed at the difference in the 1325/48. I used the 3011 (same legs as the 3021, different locks) prior to getting my Gitzo, and I can tell you that the stability is absolutely superior.

As for the height question that Kerry presented, I think the use of the Arca Swiss head might have something to do with the differences in user experiences. The Arca adds quite a bit of height on its own, and some heads might not add nearly as much. Keep the height of the head you'll use in mind Josh; It, along with your height, will probably make a good bit of difference in whether or not the 1325 is tall enough for you.

Josh,

Wow, deja vu all over again... I used a Bogen 3021 for years as my main tripod (and even used a Wisner Tech Field for much of that time period). The 3021 was a geat value and served me well, but as Tim said, a 1325 or 1348 will make a wor ld of difference. They are both taller (not counting the center column - which I always tried to avoid using), lighter and a lot more rigid than the 3021.

As fate would have it, I also have a 1227 that I use for backpacking with my lit tle Toho FC-45X (less than three pounds). It's pretty close to the same height as the 3021 (maybe a 1/2" shorter), but a couple of pounds lighter. I actually found my 1227 to be more rigid than the 3021 it replaced. Keep in mind this was a 3021 that had seen many years of rugged use and was starting to show its age.

Also, the rigidity will depend on which head you are using. I use the Arca Swis s B1 with my 1325 and think it's a great combination. I've used a number of bal lheads with the 1227 over the years (trying to get the lightest head that will s upport whatever camera I am using with it). The heaviest camera I ever used on my 1227 was a Canham DLC (couple ounces shy of five pounds) with a Linhof Profi II ballhead with a RRS Arca style QR clamp. That combo was passable, but about the most I'd consider that leg set to reasonably handle. Your Wisner Traditiona l is about six pounds, so the 1325/1348 would probably be a better match - just make sure you also get a sturdy head (preferrably with a good, sturdy QR clamp).

WRT to the "height issue" the best thing I cam recommend is to take your camera down to a shop that stocks one or both models and try it out. If the 1325 is ta ll enough (it will be noticeably taller than either the 1227 or the 3021 you are used to), go for it. If it looks like you'll need more height, go for the 1348 . The AS B1 I am using adds 4" to the height. And the two cameras I am current ly using (Linhof Technikardan TK45S and Toho FC-45X) are also rather "tall". Th ey are both monorail designs with the camera back sitting well above the base wh ere the rail attaches to the tripod QR clamp. So, that also probably adds a lit tle to my impression that the 1325 is plenty tall enough for me at 6'4".

Kerry

Kerry, you have been very helpful in your comments. I took some time yesterday to go over to B&H and look at the 1325 and the 1348/49, and instinctively I like the 3 section tripod better - although it may be that it is closer to what I was using - and like you I never found the Bogen 3021 to be too low with the 3047 head and Wisner combination. I doubt that the Arca B1, which will be next on my shopping list, is lower profile than the 3047. Now, if only I could figure out my MF options.

Josh,

I too had the 3047 for about eight years. While it's easy to use and plenty stu rdy for a 4x5, it is one heavy head. I no longer have a 3047 to do a side by si de comparison, but it's probably a little taller than the AS. Of course, the AS is a lot lighter and doesn't have handles sticking out all over the place to ge t caught on every passing branch. As much as I like my B1, after using nothing but three axis heads for the first 8 years I shot large format, getting used to a ballhead took a while. I really didn't feel comfortable with the B1 until I'd used it full time for about a year. Of course, now I'm glad I took the time to get used to it. Now using it is second nature for me, and everytime I hit the trail I appreciate the compact size and light weight. I now use ballheads for a ll my large format shooting. Again, perhaps not for everyone, but it works for me.

Kerry

Josh, you're luckier than most if you can stroll into B&H and compare side by side. Many of us have to buy LF gear sight unseen. And on that subject, Robt White is much less expensive than B&H. I feel guilty suggesting you buy from White after using B&H's gear to comparison shop, but it is so much cheaper you won't feel guilty! Besides, in my case at least, B&H has profitedly well over the years. Both have very good service, if you don't already know.
    John Hennessy

John, you are right about Robert White. While I ordinarily purchase from B&H, the price savings are so substantial at Robert White on the Gitzo products that I am going to place my order from them. While I am at it, I thin that I am going to retire my Bogen 3047 head and pick up the Arca-Swiss B1 and a Gitzo leveling base as well, to complement the new legset.