Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: reasonable price petzval lenses

reasonable price petzval lenses

sorry, i've posted this in the wrong place.. hope mods can delete it there..

anyway, here is what i have posted..

hi guys,

sorry if this was posted before.. i was trying to dig in a few threads but there are too many so i'm kinda confused now. hope it's fine..

anyway, i'm looking for a good reasonable price petzval lens that will cover 5x7 (with swirly petzval effect) and will be also usable on 8x10 just incase if i go with 8x10 next time.. a good price for 4x5 petzval as well is appreciated..

how much would it cost and what are the models, manufacturers, focal length for the format etc. there are tons of petzval lenses, different manufacturers and stuff but what are the best for their price? like a hundred or 2 for a good petzval lens. would that be possible?

thank you very much.

regards

J

Re: reasonable price petzval lenses

Well if you want a petzval with a name and a iris/waterhouse stops you will have to pay quite a lot these days. However, there are still a lot of projection petzvals with unknown makers on offer. These are from magic lanterns and other early projection equipment, like episcopes. Whilst camera petzvals are around f3 - f5, most projection petzvals are much slower, that is, thinner. Typical focal lengths are from 6" - 18" and this is often the only data (if any) stamped on the lens. B&L are a known maker of late petzvals and they typically have a nickel plated barrel. The better class of magic lantern lenses (but not necessarily the best performers for your use!) often have the magic lantern manufacturer's name stamped on the barrel. There is quite a lot of info through google on these makers. Glass is usually pretty good ( they used mostly standard reliable flint/crown) but you can be unlucky and find one of the rear lenses missing. A good sign is a brass flap in front ( movement sideways or swinging up ) or the remains of a flap. I havn't bought recently (last year or so) but these were very cheap on e**y - prices were about $20.

thanks a lot steve!

i have a 6" petzval with unknown manufacturer. A.J thompson & co. Importers. got it with the ansco 5x7 i bought heremonths ago.. still trying to learn but for now i really love the brass lenses shots especially the petzval effect so im hoping to get another one soon that would be fine with 5x7 and 8x10.

Probably French. A.J.Thompson was based in Boston (USA). A 16" petzval from him was sold for just over $100 recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Probably French. A.J.Thompson was based in Boston (USA). A 16" petzval from him was sold for just over $100 recently.
    thats reasonable! theres a lot on the auction site but i don;t like to use the site anymore.. plus theres a lot to choose from.. are there any petzval to avoid?
    some sells complete with flange and some only sells elements. thats why im so very confused.

Have a look at e**y 130347089620. This is exactly the type of petzval I was talking about. I have no connection with seller, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    Have a look at e**y 130347089620. This is exactly the type of petzval I was talking about. I have no connection with seller, of course!
    thanks again steve!!!

anyway, im just curios about the filter diameter of my 6" petzval. 58mm doesn't fit it. much bigger. i can only find 55mm available. no 56 or 57 around. i like to try ND filter to my lens so i can use it outdoor much..

will check the lens on the auction site.

saw it but theres no flange for the lens board.. is there a way i could just put a lens to a lensboard without a flange? diy maybe. some rubber, tape or glue? hehe watching the listing. thanks!

try anmd get a "taking" lens if you can. the magic lantern are fine but you might as well get one with a water house slot. even the ML lenses are getting expensive so you may just pay a bit more for a taking lens.

IMO most 5x7 lenses are too short of a focal length for 8x10. i prefer a bit of a longer lens. also the DOF gets really really small when you get in tight on an 8x10. this makes getting the focus you want difficult. it is very hard to buy one lens to do it all. they are like cars....one will do but it may not be the best choice for the situation....a Ferrari will go get groceries on a dirt road but why? just liek an old VW beetle will go round a race track.....

make alens board out of card board and tape it in. this is what i do. no pretty but no one sees it....they only see the photos you take with the set up.

get a 3x3 or 4x4 ND filter and just hold it in front of the lens. modern filter threads will not usually work.

avoid all lenses by cameo-need-ham, carla8schoolgirl and his other aliases here....he is from NSW australia....you can read all about him on LF forums.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

eddie, thanks a lot for the advice. i'm really inspired by you and jim when it comes to old/vintage ones.. :P

ok, i'll just buy a lens for 5x7 for now, will think about next lens when im into 8x10 haha. i think 8"-9" would do the trick i'm looking for.

forgot.. if i use 3x3 or 4x4 ND filters in front on my lens my workflow would be different from what im doing right now.. this is my procedure.

1. put the lens cap on
    2. put the film holder
    3. pull the darkslide
    4. pull the lens cap for exposure
    5. put back the lens cap
    6. put back the darkslide then pull the film holder

what do you think about this procedure? i might add the ND filter at first maybe.

still open for more advice... not easy to be noob haha
    Last edited by tenderobject; 27-Nov-2009 at 15:41. Reason: not yet done.