Thread: Latest version of photo shop

Latest version of photo shop

What is the latest version of photoshop. I think I had version 5. I bought an Adobe photoshop cs3 on Ebay and the serial number doesn't work. So I'm hesitant to buy another "photoshop" but I also don't want to spend 300-500 dollars. Any help???

Re: Latest version of photo shop

CS4 came out during the last year or so.
    you can find my images on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feberdt/sets/

Jim Ewins

A regular Adobe PS license is good for only two computers. If downloaded on a third, Adobe will detect it and require that it be removed from one - buying one from another party could be futile if that party can't demonstrate the removal. It is best to get a signed transfer of ownership and approved by Adobe. Having the correct serial # isn't enough - it still needs to be "approved" thats not the correct term but I don't remember it. The new Elements 8 will give you a lot of the features.

Well, CS4 is the latest. If you are on a late-model Intel Mac, you'll definitely want CS4 if you are dealing with large format scale images. The windows version of CS4 has advantages as well, but I think CS3 would likely be a good choice there. However, most 'used' copies of CS3 will be upgraded ones, and I suspect they are deactivated by Adobe or the like; not likely able to be activated by you in any case. You'll want a solid assurance from the seller about its usage.

Depending on your needs, the cheaper Lightroom or Aperture may do the trick.

Also, I should mention, Photoshop Elements is actually fairly capable, again depending on your needs.

IMHO, if you are a professional photographer and you need to process a large volume of images (large being relative), you're best off using Lightroom 2, or Lightroom 2.5 which is the latest version. I'm speaking from the perspective of someone that has used CS3 & CS4. Lightroom was developed and designed with the photographer in mind.

However, if you're into heavy image manipulation, or graphic design, then Photoshop is for you. But it's a resource hog. You'll need lots of RAM and plenty of hard disk space.

I'd see about getting an evaluation copy of Lightroom from Adobe's website. Also, if you're a serious pixel pusher and are into HDR, you may want to investigate HDRSoft's Photomatix, ($99) or Topax Adjust ($49).

I agree if you have an Intel Mac, go with CS4 PS. And you'll get a discount when CS5 for Intel-only Mac's comes out. I also agree there are a lot other cheaper photo editors which are quite capable if you don't need or want all of PS' features and tools, but if you use Creative Suite, PS is better integrated into the other applications.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean