Thread: I Wanna be Angus McBean when I grow up.

I Wanna be Angus McBean when I grow up.

I'd never heard of this guy until I was in a used book store the other day and found a copy of one of his books. When I grow up, I want to be as clever as he is. He worked far too long ago for his work to be digitally manipulated, so he obviously worked by merging images. But he amuses me.

I doubt that I'll ever be like him. I could never grow a beard like that! And while I've always told everybody I have a sense of humor, everyone else has assured me I don't. He clearly does. His portraits are a cross between Yosuf Karsh and Salvadore Dali. His portrait of Spike Milligan's head (whoever he was) in a bell jar should have been a classic. Until the other day I had never seen it before in my life. He worked with a lot of Hollywood stars, so there is a great deal of fantasy in his work. And it works. The one portrait of his that I was familiar with (and I didn't even know who did it until now) was the photograph of the Beatles on their album The Beatles / 1967-1970. Admittedly it is one of his less unusual shots...but it gives you old farts some perspective on his work.

Another thing is that I don't send out Christmas cards. He did a Christmas card self-portrait every year, and each year competed with himself to outdo the guy he was last year. His 1947 card of an old tenement stairwell with the mop and bucket on the first step and just his head on the fourth was classic. Then I came across the one where his torso and legs are all you see at the back of a large view camera, and his head is sticking out of the lens. I've had days like that, too.

His conventional portraiture was excellent as well. In that respect he was a softer and more gentle Karsh. Similar technique but the subjects actually look human. If you get a chance, look into one of his books. He'll amuse you. And if I ever grow up......
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Re: I Wanna be Angus McBean when I grow up.

The UK National Portrait Gallery has 126 of his photographs on line: http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/se...angus%20mcbean
    Arca-Swiss 8x10/4x5 | Mamiya 6x7 | Leica 35mm | Blackmagic Ultra HD Video
    Sound Devices audio recorder, Schoeps & DPA mikes
    Mac Studio/Eizo with Capture One, Final Cut, DaVinci Resolve, Logic

Some of us "old farts" actually remember Angus,...I bet Mr Broadbent remembers him too. He was a household name in the UK and it's sad to see him now forgotten,..but fantastic that he can be rediscovered on the internet! Angus was an incredibly multi-talented man who could turn his hand to anything.

Arguably, his most famous work was his portraits of Vivien Leigh, and one of these at least was made into a uk postage stamp a few years back.

Please tell me you were kidding about not knowing who Spike Milligan was......!!

I saw an exhibition of his work in town not so long ago, cracking stuff. Asside from all the ingenius double exposure trickery his mastery of lighting for me is whats sets his work apart. There's a book of the exhibition published that anyone interested in McBean's work should check out. It features a lot of his xmas card along with most of the best portrait work from Vivien Leigh right through to Run DMC!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Angus-McBean.../dp/1855145154

Hopefully any aspiring McBean wannabees in todays world won't have to go through being detained at her majesties pleasure for 2 years for being gay!