Thread: Print head for Canon i9100

Print head for Canon i9100

I am wondering if anyone on the forum has had a similar experience with the print heads of Canon printers.

Last week my i9100 stopped printing black and next it stopped printing photo cyan. All of my inks were fresh and I had just finished printing a batch of greeting cards. It was when I started the second batch that the black stopped working.

I pulled the print head. The nozzles are not clogged because I can blow (with canned air) ink through the nozzles.

I contacted Canon tech support. Their belief was that the 'ink waste counter' had exceeded its limit and they provided instructions on resetting the counter.

It didn't work and I passed this back to tech support. They responded, saying that the problem either had to be clogged nozzles, or the print head was dead, or it was a hardware failure.

I asked tech support if it was possible to replace the print head. By the time they responded I had searched on the internet and found a print head for the i9100. Price is $97.

Their response was that on Canon printers, once the print head fails, the printer is dead. Is this true? I don't want to put out $100 if it is foregone that it will not work.

So my question is: has anyone on the forum had a similar problem? Were you able to replace the print head?

Thanks for your assistance.
    al

Re: Print head for Canon i9100

I know at the school I teach, SAIC, that they replace heads on the Canons routinely. They don't dump the printer when the heads go. BUT these are the large professional models. So beyond that I don't know what to say..
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Hi Al
    as Kirk says the heads go. We have the Cannon 9000 as well and have had to replace the head, and now we are getting a few odd problems and we are thinking it may need replacement again.
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I know at the school I teach, SAIC, that they replace heads on the Canons routinely. They don't dump the printer when the heads go. BUT these are the large professional models. So beyond that I don't know what to say..

I have replaced the head several times on my i9900. Once under warranty and then again under an extended service contract. The head died again and I retired the unit.
    Bill McMannis